7

The ride back wasn't as awkward and tense as the ride going

The small sense of comfortability is there and this whole thing isn't as bad as I made it seem. Then again, just because tonight went well doesn't mean I should expect the same thing for future nights.

My house comes into view and we are let in through the gates. Lights are on and shining through the windows so I know my family is still awake. Or at least father is still awake.

The car comes to a stop and Xavier is out the door again and rushes to open mine. I thank him while stepping out and he walks beside me to the front door.

'Did you enjoy tonight?" he asks while grabbing my hand and caressing it with his thumb. I look down at our hands that are making contact for the third or forth time tonight. He definitely seems to have a thing for physical touch.

"I did. Thank you." I replied looking up at him. Damn, he's tall.

More for me to climb...

Ami, stop. Don't do that.

"I'm sure i'll see you again soon," he says.

"I know you will"

He nods and places a soft kiss on my cheek then bids me goodnight heading back to his car. The front door is open for me and I head in to be met with my father and brothers standing there waiting for me.

"How'd it go?" father asks. Dee sends him a glare that says " can she at least take off her shoes first?"

"It was fine. Better than I anticipated." I said and I meant that. It was genuinely way better than I thought it'd be.

Father nods and takes his leave.

"And then there were three" Mikey jokes. Always knows how to lighten the mood.

" But seriously how was it?" Dee asks. He's always been the protective one of not just me but of Mikey too.

"It was fine. He was nice, patient and respectful. For sure not what I was expecting but I'm not complaining."

They nod in understanding. We say our goodnights and all head our separate ways. My room was a mess before I left but now it's been cleaned. I know it was mama. She does that to all of our rooms when she's stressed out or somethings bothering her.

I shower throw on some pajamas and get ready to sleep. I'm tired, my feet hurt and I want nothing more right now but to fall unconscious for eight hours.

A light knock sounds on my door just as I'm about to clap for the lights to turn off.

"Yes come in"

Mama comes in and she looks at me giving me a soft smile but there's nothing happy about it. She doesn't look happy at all. She looks extremely tired and defeated. She sits on the bed causing me to sit up as well next to her.

" You looked beautiful tonight. I loved watching you be the strong woman I knew you were always meant to be." she says. She's fighting her tears but they overpower her, falling down her face at rapid speed.

" I'm sorry that I am failing you. I'm sorry I'm not getting you out of this situation."

I shake my head at her implying that what she's saying is nonsense. I've been living long enough to know how father works. Whenever he has a plan, he never lets anything stop it or get in the way of it. He makes sure it's complete. She couldn't get me out of this if she went to the ends of the earth trying.

"Mama it's okay. I know I'll be okay. You've done a lot for me in this life that I thank you for. I don't blame you for any of this. I really don't. Je vais bien." I tell her while wiping her tears.

I hate seeing mama break and fall apart because of fathers doing. She takes too much responsibility for his actions as if he's not a grown man who knows what he's doing. She is not forcing his hand to do the things that he does. If anything, she has tried harder than any of us to change him and stop him from doing the things he does. He has violently manipulated her for so long I really don't know how she puts up with it.

"Was he good to you?" she asks while wiping her remaining tears.

"He was." he really was.

" hmm he's handsome don't you think" she says playfully nudging my shoulder making me roll my eyes.

" yea whatever I guess he's okay."

He is wayyyy more than okay.

Mama gives me a kiss on the cheek and tells me to sleep well then leaves the room.

And I'm left alone for the night.

An: short chap:)