V

*Lindsay's POV*

Waking up the next morning was a breeze, after barely consuming any alcohol the night before. The first thing I noticed after rolling over and checking my phone was that Gio had messaged. 

Gio: Babe, I'm sorry things got so heated last night. Let me know when you get to school and we can talk.

I took a deep breath and turned my phone off without sending through a reply. I couldn't understand why Gio would want to talk about it again. He had views, while I had my own, and they clearly didn't align. All talking would accomplish would be more fighting. 

Dressing for a stressful day, I ducked into the main house for some breakfast. 

I was surprised to find no one in the kitchen, whereas everyone was usually up and about by now. 

"Hello?" I called, grabbing myself an apple from the fruit bowl, "Alex? Mom? Shannon? Anyone home?"

A moment later, my mom's head popped into the kitchen.

"Hi honey, Shannon's feeling ill so I've just been looking after her. Alex has already left and I need to head to work. I know it's a big ask, but is there any chance you can take the day off to look after Shannon? I just don't really want to leave her alone."

"Su-," I started to say, but my Mom disappeared before even receiving an answer. 

"Thanks, Linds," she shouted from the doorway, "and don't worry, it's not contagious!"

The door was closed suddenly and the house went back to silence like it had been, not twenty seconds earlier. 

After finishing my apple, I checked in on Shannon to see if she was doing okay. 

I knocked on the door before entering and announcing my presence.

Shannon was curled up under her covers, eyes droopy, looking like absolute shit, so I told her. 

"Wow, you look like shit."

She didn't answer, so I started a one-sided conversation, "you're welcome."

She seemed really out of it, and I walked up to the bed to feel her temperature. She was warm, but didn't seem to have a fever. 

"Can I get you some soup? A crossword? Maybe a dirty magazine or something?"

There was no response, but I swear I saw a small smirk grace her face at the mention of a dirty magazine. 

"A dirty magazine it is then!" I announced, leaving Shannon to rest. 

Twenty minutes later, I had walked down to the milk bar, bought some gum, some chicken noodle soup, and the latest issue of Swank magazine. Let's just say the young sales attendant gave me a look when he scanned that through the register. 

Checking on Shannon, I saw that she was still in bed, but she had sat up, leaning against the headboard. 

"Welcome back to Earth, Shannon!" I joked, but got nothing. "Still nothing? Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to read this magazine to you."

Shannon's eyes widened and she looked at the magazine in my hands before looking up at my face, trying to gage whether I was serious or not. I was. 

I sat down next to her in bed and flicked open the dirty magazine. Laying precariously on the edge of a bed was the beautiful Ashlynn Brooke. 

"Damn, girl. She's fine," I murmured, getting more interested in the magazine by the minute.