𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

˚✶•━━━━━━•❈•━━━━━━•✶˚𝑨 𝑭𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑺𝑯 𝑯𝑬𝑨𝑻•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝑨 𝑭𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑺𝑯 𝑯𝑬𝑨𝑻
•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐓 𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐇 still lingered in the air when the sun peaked above the horizon and the rays of sunshine warmed up the desert in an instance. The sky around the oasis already started to shimmer as if in a mirage while the golden sand grains seemed to sizzle in the heat.

Rosaleen wasn't sure if it was the horrible smell or the relentless heat that caused her to feel feverish. She trembled all over her body and her muscles ached from the exhaustion that came with it. Cold droplets of sweat ran down her unusual pale skin and her breathing came out in a squeak every time she took a new gulp of oxygen. A throbbing pain shot through her bruised ribs when she struggled to sit up straight and she took a few moments to gather her strength before climbing with strained movements out of the slightly rocking hammock.

The ten hammocks of the company hung between the several palm trees scattered over the oasis. The fabric hovered a few feet above the desert's soil and protected those sleeping inside it from scorpions and venomous snakes that roamed through the sand.

Rosaleen tried to stretch her back when she had finally placed her feet firmly on the ground, but a sharp pain shot through her body and her breath caught in her throat.

Seren, who was already up because he had the last watch, noticed her movements from out of the corner of his eye and he stood up from his place by the smoldering campfire.

'Rose?' he asked, setting a few steps towards her in concern. 'Are you alright? You don't look all too great.'

She waved it away, carefully walking towards the pool to splash some fresh water in her face. 'It's nothing, just a few bruised ribs.' However, as she crouched down near the pool, another sting travelled through her body and she lost her balance, landing ungracefully on her bum in the sand. She took in a sharp breath to fight back her painful groan and in an instance, Seren crouched next to her.

Rosaleen's eyes flickered up to his when he placed a hand on her forehead, a deep frown resting between his eyebrows as he took in her grey-like skin.

'You're burning up,' he said, meeting her gaze and she gently enclasped his wrist, pulling his hand away from her face.

'Yes, well, it's because of the heat,' she reasoned as he dropped his hand next to his side again. 'It will get better once we're out of the desert.'

Seren let out a sigh, wiping a hand over his tanned face. 'You can be most stubborn,' he said before standing up again and offering her a hand.

Rosaleen grimaced as he pulled her back on her feet. 'It's only another half day's journey until we reach the border of Archenland, I'll be fine,' she said.