𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

˚✶•━━━━━━•❈•━━━━━━•✶˚𝑺𝑶𝑼𝑹 𝑨𝑷𝑷𝑳𝑬𝑺 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑺𝑾𝑬𝑬𝑻 𝑯𝑶𝑵𝑬𝒀•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝑺𝑶𝑼𝑹 𝑨𝑷𝑷𝑳𝑬𝑺 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑺𝑾𝑬𝑬𝑻 𝑯𝑶𝑵𝑬𝒀
•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐈𝐑 grew stronger while the black poplar trees lessened in number as the group travelled towards the cliffside of the peninsula. The poplars made way for the recently planted orchard outside Cair Paravel and the occasional cry of a seagull echoed through the air as the citadel of the four thrones came into sight. The light stones of the castle complimented the azure blue of the sky and the turquoise of the ocean, the vibrant colours merging together into an ethereal display of a dream and reality combined.

Rosaleen took deep breaths, closing her eyes for a second as she savoured the scent and the faint sound of the breaking waves on the shore. She had missed Cair Paravel and the countless blissful days on the beach. She could almost feel the white-golden grains of sand under her feet again, the soil sinking and trickling away from under her as the water pulled it back, while the rays of sunshine fell upon the moving water in a prism of colours.

Rosaleen gave Seren a half-smile when she noticed his compassionate eyes. 'I guess I missed it more than I'd thought,' she said, dropping her gaze to the reins in her hands and driving back the memories that the sight of the castle elicited in her.

'There's no place like home,' Seren agreed as he himself had enjoyed every second he had been back in Castle Anvard.

Rosaleen nodded and the last apple tree disappeared behind them as the white cobblestones of the path ended at a crossroad. They turned right, following the main road towards the gate that everyone had to pass if they wanted to get into Cair Paravel, since behind the gate lay a long bridge; leading over a gaping chasm with sharp rocky ends at the very bottom.

The steep precipice of the cliff protected the citadel at the other side, although if you knew where to look, a secret and natural-looking chiseled staircase descended all the way to the beach. It was an escape route should the castle ever fall during an attack.

The hooves of the horses clattered on the white stones of the road and a smile appeared on Rosaleen's face when even from this distance she recognised the blond, short yet wavy hair of her brother. He guarded the gate and the purple hilts of his twin swords rose up above his shoulders, the precious gifts of Father Christmas strapped to his back like always.

Alexander recognised his sister as well and Rosaleen urged her horse into a gallop, quickly closing the last few meters between them. Her horse slid a few inches over the smooth stones when she pulled at the reins again in a stop, but she jumped out of the saddle before it had completely skidded to a halt.

The tightly wrapped bandages under Rosaleen's riding blouse helped to reduce the pain in her ribs as she moved and she was sure she'd be fully healed again in a few weeks. She swung her arms around her brother and he answered her embrace with a chuckle, his voice sounding like music to her ears and her homesickness washed out of her, causing her own laugh to sound a bit choked up.