𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

˚✶•━━━━━━•❈•━━━━━━•✶˚ 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑼𝑵𝑾𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑫𝑨𝑹𝑲𝑵𝑬𝑺𝑺 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑫𝑼𝑵𝑮𝑬𝑶𝑵•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑼𝑵𝑾𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑫𝑨𝑹𝑲𝑵𝑬𝑺𝑺
𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑫𝑼𝑵𝑮𝑬𝑶𝑵
•✶•━━━━━━━━━━━━•✶•

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 was the stiff coldness that had settled in her muscles and slowly seeped into the very core of her bones. She lay flat on her stomach onto a stone surface that radiated with cold and the thin fabric of her dress formed no protection from it. After she opened her eyes, the second thing she noticed was that wherever she was, darkness surrounded her. The third thing she noticed though, was the pain that washed over her as she regained more consciousness.

Her bruised ribs throbbed slightly and it felt as if someone continuously hit her on the head with the hilt of a dagger, but her throat felt worst of all. She could still taste the sharp bitterness of the toxin that had knocked her out and her throat felt sore and swollen as her every breath scraped over it.

A groan escaped Rosaleen's lips and with some effort she pushed herself into a sitting position, allowing her eyesight to get used to the dark. It took her a good minute before she could make out some of her surroundings, but the shimmering of dewdrops trickling down three stone walls with protruding rocks and the iron bars rising firmly up like a fourth wall, indicated to Rosaleen that she was in a dungeon; most likely underground.

'Rose?' The whisper of Lucy's voice carried far through the still air, making it sound as if she sat next to Rosaleen but she was the only one in this cell. She crawled closer towards the iron bars, noticing the other prison across from hers and around seven feet apart. She wrapped her hands around the cold rods and peered through the hand-broad gap between them.

Lucy's pale skin and cream coloured dress lit vaguely up in the darkness, and the young Queen's face was contorted in a painful grimace.

'Lucy, your shoulder,' Rosaleen began with concern, her eyes falling upon the darker part of Lucy's top. 'Are you alright?'

Lucy nodded carefully but she didn't dare to move too much. 'They stopped the bleeding and bandaged it. It still hurts, but I'll live.'

While thinking about what had happened during their capture, Rosaleen remembered in a flash how the eyes of one of their captors had looked familiar, but she couldn't replace where she had seen them before.

'Where do you suppose we are?' Lucy asked, letting her gaze wander over her surroundings but although there came a faint light from farther up ahead, there was no recogniseable point anywhere nor were there any windows.

Rosaleen answered she didn't know and she pulled herself up by the bars before stepping towards the door made out of iron rods as well. She rubbed her bare upper arms but her fingers felt like icicles, not helping at all and she gave the door a few shakes. The iron however, didn't budge and the rattling sound echoed between the stone walls before it dissolved into nothingness.