Lean on Me- Kelley O'Hara

Y/N POV

"Y/N your phone keeps going off, it seems urgent!" Vlatko yells across the field. I furrow my eyebrows and walk over to my bag to grab my phone, seeing I have many missed calls from my sister, Anna, I walk over to a quieter part of the field to call her back.

"Anna what's wrong?" I question

"Y/N, it's Dad. Um, he's not doing too well, he's in the hospital right now." I can hear the quiver in her voice and that makes my heart drop.

"What happened?"

"H-he has cancer, please just get here I need you, please Y/N." Anna is the youngest of my sisters, me being the middle child. Our older sister is Jamie, her and I aren't really on speaking terms right now, and our mom died while I was in my junior year of college and Anna's senior year of high school.

I didn't even know he was sick.

"Ok Anna, I'll try to get there. Just stay with him." I said calmly.

"Ok Y/N, please hurry, I know you and Dad have a rocky relationship but I know you wouldn't forgive yourself if you weren't here, and I wouldn't forgive myself for not telling you."

Saying our goodbyes I walk over to the coaching staff to let them know what's going on.

"Y/N! Your plane for Delaware leaves at 10:00 tonight!" Vlatko yells. He's letting me leave early since there is only two more days of camp. I try to stay focused for the rest of practice, but I can't. I keep missing passes, my shots are going wide or Jane catches them, and I think everyone else can feel the change in my attitude.

Kelley's POV

When I see Y/N walking to another part of the field to make a phone call I watch her cautiously and I can see her tense and relax a couple of times before she ends the call walking over to the coaching staff.

"Y/N! Your plane for Delaware leaves at 10:00 tonight!" I hear Vlatko shout towards Y/N. She nods and then goes back to doing drills with the rest of the forwards, but I know somethings up she seems frustrated and stressed, and it's showing in her play.

After practice is called I go to look for only to see her already walking to the locker room. I quickly catch up with her. "Hey Y/N! Wait up!" I shout getting her attention. Finally seeing her up close she looks like she's about to cry.

"Hey baby what's wrong?" I pull her to my cubby and sit, pulling her in my lap.

"Kel he's going to die." I furrow my eyebrows, she hasn't mentioned anyone who was sick let alone dying.

"Who's going to die Y/N?"

"M-my Dad, he has cancer. Anna called during practice and told me, I didn't even know he was sick." I pull her closer to me and she nuzzles her face in my neck and I can feel her tears falling onto my neck.

"Oh Y/N, I'm sorry." I say as I rub her back comfortingly  just letting her cry.

The rest of the team comes into the locker room seeing me holding a crying Y/N. Megan goes to ask but I just shake my head and mouth later and she nods, while the rest of the girls sees our exchange knowing not to ask questions.

"I'm going back to Delaware tonight." She whispers after she calms down slightly.

"I can come with you I'm sure Vlatko will be okay with that." I whisper

"No you have to stay I'll be okay." I shake my head and pull her chin so she's looking at me.

"I am not letting you do this alone, okay?" I state firmly. She nods