I'm Here- Lindsey Horan

Y/N's POV

Waking up I sigh knowing what the date is. This day will always be the worst day of my life, the day where I relive pain, and the day where I just want to stay in bed. But this year I can't.

Three years ago today I lost my best friend, Anna, to ovarian cancer. She was diagnosed when we were around the age of 14 and from there I promised her I'd be stay with her until the end.

The doctors said she wouldn't make it to our senior year of high school, but she did and then she made it to her senior year of college, albeit there were so many uphill battles she still made it.

Until she didn't, the cancer had spread, chemo nor radiation helped shrink any of the masses. There was nothing else's doctors could do so she was put into hospice, I remember it like it was yesterday.

This year was different, I was at a national team camp.

Feeling arms wrap around me I turn and face the one who's helped me through it all.

"Morning baby." Lindsey says and pecks my lips. 

"Morning, today's the day." I sigh out.

"I know love, I'll be with you every step of the way." She whispers.

Lindsey and I met when she came to Portland in 2016. We were both new to the club and hit it off instantly, feelings started to develop and we started dating at the end of the season.

She was with me when Anna died and hasn't left my side since.

"I just wish we weren't at camp; I just want to stay in bed all day but I can't."

"Maybe it will be good for you and we only have a light training today."

"I miss her." I whisper out as tears build in my eyes.

"I know baby, I know." I feel her kiss my head and hold me tighter as I cry into her chest.

"We need to get ready." She whispers. I nod and get up heading to the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror my eyes are red and puffy, I just look like a complete mess. Splashing cold water on my face to help I complete my morning routine before getting dressed.

"Ready?" Lindsey asks as she emerges from the bathroom. I sigh and nod as she grabs my hand leading me out the door.

When we arrive at the meal room I noticed we're the last ones.

"Hey guys, we were about to come looking for you." Rose states as we sit down with our food.

"You good Y/N?" Sonnett asks catching the attention of some of the girls around us.

"I'm fine." I state simply not wanting to explain what today is. I feel Lindsey grab my hand under the table, running her thumb over my knuckles.

"You sure?" Mal ask. I send her a small smile and nod. I don't really eat my food not having much of an appetite.

I guess I zoned out because next thing I know we're walking out to be bus. Sitting down in my normal row Lindsey slides in next to me and I lay my head on her shoulder.

When we arrive at practice we do a quick warm up before quickly jumping into a scrimmage. I'm not playing my best and coach is not happy.

"Y/N! You're too far back!" He shouts.

"Y/N! You're passes need to be on target!" He shouts again.

During our water break Carli pulls me away from the group.

"What's going on? Your play is all over the place! I don't know what's going on with you today but you need to get it together." She states. Before I can even respond Vlatko yells out to me.