Broken Ribs- Emily Sonnett

It was time for Spirit to play Gotham again and with the rising tension from the Challenge Cup you were expecting the game to be chippy.

"Babe! We're going to be late, hurry up!" You hear your girlfriend yell.

You quickly grab the rest of your things, shoving them in your bag and make your way to meet Emily at the front door.

"I'm ready!" She shakes her head and gives you a quick peck on the cheek.

"Mhm, let's go." She grabs your bag and slings it over her shoulder as she walks out the door.

****

As expected the game was chippy, fouls being called on both sides, but Spirit was up 2-0 courtesy of yourself and Rodman.

For some reason, it felt like you were being targeted by Gotham. More specifically the Gotham captain, McCall Zerboni.

She had been physical with you for the whole first half and you were growing tired of it.

"Okay girls, I know this is very physical but you all are doing great," Coach Ward says.

We went over a few more tactics before heading back out for the second half.

***

You had received a beautiful ball from Sam Stabb and was making your way up through the midfield when suddenly your feet are taken from under you.

But before you have time to register the foul, you feel cleats go into your ribs and you hear a crack, which makes you let out a piercing scream.

All you can make out is the refs whistle and yelling.

"Y/N? Are you okay?" Between your labored breaths and the sound of your heartbeat in your ears, the voice comes out muffled.

"Baby, look at me. The training staff is on their way." You can tell that's Emily based on the soft hands on your cheeks.

"Hurts." You wheeze out, "Don't talk, babe. It might make it worse." She moves to grab your hand making room for the athletic trainers.

You can tell something isn't right. You've had a broken rib before but this just feels different. It hurts more.

And based on the concern on the athletic trainers faces you can tell they are thinking the same, "Do you think you can stand up?" The trainer asks.

You go to sit up but feel an burning sensation in your chest and let out a cry before your vision becomes spotty.

That's when all hell breaks loose. You hear the trainer yell for the doctor and a stretcher.

"Hey, baby keep those pretty eyes on me," Emily says.

"M'tired." You mumble.

The last thing you see is Emily's concerned face before you succumb to the darkness.

****

When your senses come to you, you feel a piercing ache in your side and hear consistent beeping which means you're definitely in a hospital.

You're not sure how much time has passed. You remember being fouled and being stepped on, but not much after that.

Groaning you peel your eyes open, adjusting to the lights of the hospital room.

"Hey, baby." Emily whispers. You look to your right and realize she's holding your hand.

"How do you feel?" She asks squeezing your hand.

"Hurt." You rasps out, "What happened?"

"You don't remember?" She asks and you shake your head.

"I remember being fouled and getting stepped on but nothing after that."

She sighs and moves to sit on your bed, "Your rib pierced your lung. You had to get surgery to repair it." She says.

Before you can respond the doctor walks in, "Oh good Ms. Y/L/N, you're awake," she says giving you a soft smile.

"I'm sure your girlfriend has given you the run down of your injuries." You nod.

"You'll need to stay for a few days so we can monitor your lung, but other than that you're okay. Do you need anything from me?"

"Maybe more pain medicine?" You ask your voice still raspy.

She nods and says she'll have a nurse come up your dose of pain medication.

"What happened to Zerboni?" You ask turning to Emily as she puts a straw to your lips.

"She was given an immediate red and will probably be fined by the league." She says.

"Did we win?" You ask after a beat of silence.

"You just had lung surgery and you're worried if we won the game or not?"

You shrug and she sighs, kissing your head lightly.

"Yes, we won." You hum and smile. "Good."

The nurse comes and ups your dosage of pain medicine which makes you sleepy. You eventually stop fighting it and let yourself fall asleep.

***

The next time you wake you hear hushed voices. Groaning you open your eyes and let them adjust to the light.

"Krashlyn, Squirel. Hi," you say with a tired smirk.

"Your teammate is a bitch." You continue pointing between Ashlyn and Ali.

"Yeah, we know. We don't like her all that much either." That gets a laugh out of you which quickly turns into a groan as your injured side.

"How do you feel?" Kelley asks.

"Besides the fact that I got stepped on, I'm okay." You joke.

After conversing for a little, the girls start to notice you are getting tired and bid farewells.

"Come lay with me?" You turn to your girlfriend.

Noticing her apprehension, you give her your signature pout.

"You won't hurt me, I promise." You tell her.

"Fine." She gives in.

You move over slightly and let her get in, making yourself comfortable in her arms

"I'm glad you're okay. Earlier scared me, you were so out of it." She whispers, kissing your temple.

"I'm sorry," you say.

"It's not your fault, it's that bitch's fault." She grits out.

"I'm gonna be out for a while, aren't I?" You ask her. 

Emily gives you a sad nod, "At least a few months, the punctured lung is really going to throw a wrench in your healing process," she says honestly.

"You'll be by my side the whole time?" You ask.

Soccer was your everything, it was one of your reasons for breathing, Emily being the first.

"Of course, I'm not leaving your side." She answers sincerely, giving a light peck on the lips.

"I love you, Em," you say.

"I love you, Y/N/N." She smiles.

****

The End!!