chapter 5

"Mum look out!" Louis exclaims as he sees a big vehicle approaching them. It's dark and he cannot quite see what it is.

Jay panics and tries to swerve the car. Unfortunately, the vehicle hits the car's side and Jay abruptly applies the brakes. It all happens in the blink of an eye, Louis can see his life flash in front of his eyes as his stomach clenches and horrible thoughts start flooding his mind. The impact is very harsh and their car rolls until it hits a street light pole, the impact causing the car to roll upside down. Two sets of airbag deploy, one in front of him and the other one on his left.

All Louis can hear is the sound of the hood of the car crumpling, the glass of the windshield shattering and the sound of the tires screeching and metal bending. It is only seconds, but Louis seems to experience every millisecond of it, with all of his senses heightened, it is all too scary.

"Lou, honey, are you alright?" He hears Jay call him, worry and fear evident in her voice.

"Mum I'm scared." Louis says, trying not to let the tears escape. His head is pounding very badly, he's going to puke and he thinks his torso is bruised pretty bad.

"I promise it's all going to be fine sweetheart. I love you." Jay tells him holding his hand and squeezing it to comfort the both of them. Screams of people can be heard coming outside the car, trying to get Louis and Jay out of the car. Louis can hear someone calling for a fire truck and an ambulance.

"Hear that Lou, we're gonna get out of here soon. Just hold on." Jay tells kissing Louis' hand.

Soon, they can hear the sirens of a fire truck and an ambulance. The doors of the car are stuck and the firefighters have to cut off the doors in order to get Louis and Jay out. After a few minutes the firefighters succeed in getting Louis out and onto a stretcher.

The firefighters then try getting Jay out but her leg is stuck and on looking more closely, they can see Jay's not in a good shape and it's only a matter of time before she succumbs, but they have to help her. It's their job.

"No wait!" Louis screams. "My mum! You have to get her out. I'm not leaving anywhere without her! Get her out!" Louis says in hysterics, tears now streaming down his face freely. He's not going to leave without his mum.

"We're trying bud. You need to relax." One of the firefighters tells him calmly.

A few minutes later, with great effort Jay is finally helped out of the car and laid onto a stretcher alongside Louis in the ambulance. An oxygen mask is put over them before they are rushed to the hospital.

"Listen Louis, I need you to know that I love you and your brother Liam and if-"

"Mum please don't, you're going to be fine. Tell Liam you love him yourself. I'm not doing that for you." Louis says brokenly. His mum is going to be fine, there's no if or but. She has to be fine.

"No Louis, love, I need you to listen to me. I'll always love you and your brother, you boys mean the whole world to me and if anything happens, I need you to know that I'll always look after you from above and I know you have Liam to take care of you, even Harry and Zayn. I trust you with them. You're always going to be my baby." Jay finishes weakly. She knows she's not going to make it, she has lost a lot of blood and her head is hammering very bad.

"Mum no, you're going to be fine, please don't say that, you cannot leave me." Louis sobs, he cannot even begin to imagine a life without her and he keeps reassuring himself that everything's going to alright, they just need to get to the hospital.

"Baby, I'm never going to leave you, I'll be with you, if not physically then in your heart, always." Jay says, her breathing laboured. She tries to reach for Louis' hand but her body is too weak to allow it. Louis himself is loosing his consious by the growing second.