chapter 13

Louis takes in the intoxicating smell of his home for the last time as he helps Liam move out his few boxes they packed in the last two hours which he insisted on helping out Liam with, to get his mind off things.

"Louis you're gonna hurt yourself, you're still not fully recovered. Give them to me." Liam demands.

"No, I'm fine. I can carry them myself. They're not even that heavy." Louis huffs in annoyance and picks up a box. He balances one more box on top of it to prove to Liam that he's not weak and infact he can help his brother out and is not useless.

They soon prove to be his famous last words as he loses his balance due to the weight of two boxes and drops the top box. It hits Liam right on his pinky toe. "Ow! Louis I said be careful. You can't just go killing people around." Liam says holding his hurt toe while jumping on one foot.

"Suck it up big guy. It doesn't even hurt that much." Louis rolls his eyes, trying not to laugh at him. Liam looks like a kangaroo.

His facade soon breaks when Liam gives him an almost painful but funny look and they both end up laughing. It's the first time after the accident that Louis actually laughed for real which is sort of refreshing.

After Liam finishes putting the few boxes away in his car, they spend a few minutes sitting on the front porch for a while, where they used to run like crazy and play till the sun set when they were kids. The nostalgia just hits different.

"Well, the sun's almost set, we're gonna be late. Ready to go?" Liam asks.

''Yeah, just a second.'' Louis tells Liam who nods his head at him. 

Louis goes back inside the house and to his mother's room for the last time and sits on the bed. He holds Jay's sweater that's lying on the side of the bed close to his chest. ''Guess this is goodbye afterall.'' He kisses it and breathes out a sigh and leaves the room with his mother's sweater clutched in his hand.

"Let's go." Louis says to Liam. He sits in the backseat because he's still afraid something bad will happen again if he'll sit in the passenger seat and Liam doesn't force him to. He notices their mother's sweater in Louis' hand and smiles a little. He inserts the key into the ignition and starts the car.

The ride to Liam and Zayn's is quiet. Nothing much is said between them. Louis is in his own world. Liam turns on the radio for some music. He hears Louis humming to the song, while looking out the window and Liam joins him on it. A small smile stretches across Louis' face.

Liam stops by a McDonald's drive through a little while later, "Louis? You hungry?" He asks.

"Uhh, no, not really." Louis tells him. He fishes out his earphones from his bag and puts them in, blocking the outside unnecessary sound.

"Are you sure? You didn't even have breakfast."

Louis pulls out his earphones and shakes his head no, looking Liam dead in the eyes, silently telling him to stop worrying so much.

"Come on Lou. What about some fries? We used to get them every time." Liam tries to get Louis to eat something. He hasn't had anything since dinner yesterday and Liam's worried he may develop an eating disorder.

"Alright fine." Louis' not in the mood to argue and gives in to Liam, before popping his earphones back in. Liam breaths a sigh of relief and orders their meal.

After a few minutes of waiting, Liam pays for their meal and parks the car. He hands Louis the fries and unwraps the burger. Louis takes a fry in his hand and stares at it for a few seconds. He takes a small bite and chews it slowly.

By the time Liam starts driving the car, Louis manages to eat one third of his fries. He's not at all hungry but doesn't want to upset Liam either. It's bad enough they have to deal with him, he doesn't want them to stress out over him as well.