chapter 14

"You left me to let me die there."

"Why didn't you save me baby? I thought you loved me."

"I'm really sorry, please just come back." Louis whimpers in his sleep. It's the third time he has woken up this night. When he closes his eyes, all he can see is the image of his mother with her leg stuck under the car, calling for him.

Louis jolts awake breathing heavily, his hands shaky and body sweaty.

"It's just a dream, everything's fine. I'm fine." He whispers to himself. Louis pulls his knees close to his chest and keeps his hands on his knees and rocks himself gently, to try to calm himself down.

He tries to go back to sleep but can't. Whenever he closes his eyes, all he can see is the image of Jay. It is plastered in his mind and he can't get rid of it, despite the fact he wants to. He doesn't want to see his mum in pain but that's all his train of thoughts is going towards.

Louis tries to distract himself and grabs his phone from the nightstand. He texts Niall even though it's 2 in the morning and Niall will probably be sleeping.

Louis: You up?

To his surprise, Louis actually gets a reply back a minute or two after.

Niall: Yeah, what's the matter?

Louis: Shouldn't you be sleeping?

Niall: I could ask you the same question.

Louis: I don't know, couldn't sleep :/

Niall: You should try white noise. I've heard it helps a lot.

Louis: Probably try it for yourself first.

Niall: Haha I will.

Louis: Wanna hang out tomorrow? After school?

Niall: Totally! I have a lot of things to tell you.

Louis: I can't wait. I'll tell Zayn and Liam. How's school by the way?

Louis doesn't get a reply back after he sent his last text and figures Niall must've fallen asleep. Good for him though, Louis still can't sleep.

He decides on watching something to distract his thoughts. Maybe he'll fall asleep faster this way? He silently makes his way down to the living room and switches on the TV, keeping it at a low volume and puts on a random movie.

Louis tries to focus his attention on the screen in front of him but it proves to be a lot difficult in the dead silence of the night when he's alone with his thoughts.

"Louis?" He hears Liam ask from behind him. "Is everything alright?"

"I couldn't sleep." Louis tells him honestly.

"Because of what happened earlier?" Liam asks yawning in his hand.

"No, umm I just- I can't get myself to go back to sleep."

Liam makes his way over to the couch and sits beside Louis, with his arm around Louis' shoulder. He starts humming the same tune their mother used to hum to them when they were younger. It instantly makes Louis drowsy.

After a minute or two, Liam finally manages to make Louis fall asleep. He himself is tired as a yawn escapes his mouth. He carries Louis upstairs to his room and tucks him in bed and leaves the room, slowly closing the door behind him to avoid Louis waking up again.

Louis however, is again woken up an hour later. He can't help his thoughts racing towards the accident and Jay. He never should've told his mum to go surprise Liam at work. If it weren't for his idea that evening, Jay would've still been alive. His breathing becomes sharp as tears start to pool in his eyes and his lips tremble.