55)King without his Queen

Murphy watched the water swirl and curve as it mades it journey down the river. He crouched down, his boots crunching the rough stones further into the ground. He glanced over his shoulder.

"So what are we looking for, exactly?"

His voice broke through the clearing, directed at the blonde who was bent over peering in to the waters edge. She swung her head up, sweeping hair out of her face.

"Its like seaweed, but red. It should be close to the bank."

Murphy turned back to the water.

"Like seaweed but red, great."

He looked over to the other side of the river. Bellamy was hunched over the water, hands drooped in the water, gun slung over his shoulder. Murphy rubbed his nose. How had he got stuck with this stupid mission he didn't know. Clarke had wanted the 'red seaweed' for its medical properties since it seemed to be needed around a camp full of clumsy teenagers. Bellamy had, of course, immediately offered to go with her, Murphy had thought that would be the end of it but Bellamy had grabbed him, asking him to come with Clarke and Bellamy on the so called 'mission' to find the 'red seaweed'. Murphy's thoughts were interrupted as Bellamy spoke.

"Clarke, I found some."

Murphy watched as Clarke rose to look at Bellamy. A minuscule smile appeared on her face as she gazed at Bellamy with his arm outstretched, water dripping from the soaked seaweed onto his arm.

Clarke opened her mouth to speak. Murphy wasn't sure what exactly happened next. An arrow rushed across the river. It struck Clarke in the right thigh. Clarke started to fall. Bellamy cried out.

"Clarke."

He swung round, gun ready to fire. An arrow appeared beside Bellamy's foot. Murphy pivoted, rising to his feet. Another arrow materialised near the waters edge. He could hear the sound of running.

"Murphy."

Murphy turned to Bellamy.

"Get Clarke out of here."

Murphy had forgotten about Clarke. He twisted round. Clarke lay on the river bank, hands clasped round her thigh, she had ripped a piece of her t-shirt off and tied it round her thigh. Murphy could see from here that her teeth were clenched. He glanced back at Bellamy. He now stood, knees hunched, gun pointed at the trees surrounding the river. The sound of running grew louder. Bellamy glance at Murphy.

"Murphy, get her out of here now."

Bellamy shouted the words at him. Murphy sprinted into action. Rocks clattered as he ran towards Clarke. He slipped to his knees, gun dropped to the stones. Murphy looked towards her leg. The arrow was brutally stuck into her leg, blood flowed without stop. Murphy saw her hands shake as they clamped near the wound. Murphy hesitated, he didn't know what to do. What was he suppose to do. An arrow thudded into a tree near Murphy's head. Bellamy screamed at him for across the river.

"Now Murphy."

Murphy grabbed the gun that had fallen, swinging it over his shoulder. He grabbed Clarke's arm slugging it over his neck and hoisted her up. She grunted as her leg brushed Murphy's. Murphy muttered an apology before half running towards the trees. Clarke spoke through her gasps.

"What....about....Bellamy?"

"Don't worry about your lover boy."

"What?"

"What?"

Murphy dodged a branch. Clarke's arm pulled at his neck. They were slowing down and the sound of rushed running wasn't. Murphy cursed under his breath, they were going no where at this rate. He glanced down at her leg, blood still fell in rivets down her leg, the t-shirt now drenched with red and her breath was coming out in pants. Murphy slung his gun over his back and stopped. He turned to look at Clarke.