57) i'd like to save the world (and you could be my sidekick)

"Octavia?"

"Hey!"

"Thank God, I-"

"Sorry to disappoint, but I can't get to the phone right now. Leave me a message and I might call you b-"

Clarke angrily punched the end call button. The last thing she needed was for neither of her friends to pick up the phone when she was stranded in the middle of a fancy club with no sign of her date anywhere. The evening had started out so promising, too.

She hadn't been in the big city for long, but long enough to catch the eye of a few decent (or so she thought) guys. The first one she went out with turned out to be not as interesting as she thought he was, and constantly tried to impress her with his family's socialite status. That didn't do much for Clarke at all, considering where she came from. The second wasn't quite as awful, and although he was very handsome, they just didn't click as Clarke thought they should have.

When Finn asked her out and seemed devoid of the lackluster qualities displayed by previous dates, she decided that third time was the charm. He kept in touch with her throughout the week, sending her cute good morning messages and things to make her smile. Finn even made reservations for them at a new fancy restaurant ("Oh, Clarke, you'll love it. It has this wonderful artistic vibe," he had said).

Clarke showed up right on time, beaming and ready to kill in a navy blue dress with a peter pan collar. It accentuated her curves, and as her roommate Raven had so eloquently put it, "Someone better call the fire brigade, 'cuz your body's on fire!" (sizzling noise included) As dorky as it was, it really gave Clarke that final push to meet her mysterious new beaux at the restaurant.

So there she was, sitting in the middle of an obnoxiously fancy restaurant by herself, looking more desperate by the minute. Clarke had been pretending not to notice the inquisitive glances thrown her way, but it was getting mighty hard with the sheer overwhelming number of them. When the waiter reappeared (for the third time) Clarke decided to leave with what little dignity she had managed to preserve of herself (it sure didn't feel like there was much). She thanked the waiter rather cordially, and let herself out into the brisk night air.

It was colder than when she left, if she remembered correctly. Octavia had offered her her jacket, but Clarke had laughed her off, saying "It's not like I'm gonna be outside at all tonight."

She didn't realize how wrong she would be.

Clarke weaved effortlessly in and out of the crowd flowing through the condensed sidewalk, trying to look as if she had somewhere to be, rather than standing outside of the restaurant she had gotten stood up at. If there was one thing she had learned while she was in New York, it was how to navigate sidewalks with poise and precision. It seemed like a silly practice until the situation had actually happened to you. Clarke had gotten swept away once or twice and even spilled her coffee on Bellamy-

Bellamy! Clarke's sour mood improved a little when she remembered her friend's handsome older brother. Unfortunately, his personality didn't seem to match his looks. Granted, she had spilled coffee on him, but it was a total accident (Finding out later that day that the man she had spilled her latte on was her roomie's older brother was a bit of a shock and a total embarrassment, to say the least).

She saw him quite a bit, considering his sister was her roommate. She had learned his schedule (unintentionally. Okay, not really) and if she remembered correctly, he would be off shift by now...

Clarke frantically dug through her purse, grinning triumphantly when she pulled out her phone. She searched through her contacts for that one number she had gotten "just in case of emergency" from Octavia.