Thirty Four

Y/N POV-

(reminder that everything in italics is a past tense event. Everything in the standard font is just talking about the day itself.)

Week two working for Serena.

Like last week I start my Saturday shift with Serena.

She and I hardly spoke, she left me notes and occasionally told me what to do but generally, we stayed silent unless it were completely necessary to do otherwise. Even just watching her type infuriated me, the annoying tapping of her fingers on her keyboard drove me insane. I hate her and I envy her. How she sits so prim and proper, not a hair out of place. How with each tick of the clock she makes yet another dollar. How she would be, could be if she learnt how to be, be perfect for Wanda. How she could ruin everything I have at any moment.

I hated her when she yelled at me but the silence between us left me searching for any signs of her plans on her blank expression and that, I hated so much more.

She clears her throat as she glances down at the closed file in her hand and then at me with the slightest nod of her head. I walk up to her and take the file from her without a word. I know she wants me to take it to the file room it's what she wants each and every time she makes that look at me and if it means not having to talk to her I do as she wants.

As I head down to the file room my phone starts buzzing in my pocket, I look at the screen before answering the call.

The call-

"Wanda I'm working," I say quietly as I opt to take the stairs to the file room giving myself that extra time.

"I know but I miss you," she sighs. My phone buzzes again.

"One sec someone just sent me a text," I tuck the file under my arm as I put Wanda on speaker while I respond to the text message.

Serena- I need the Henry & Co contract while you're down there. It should be in my office, but I can't find it I'm sure the file has just been misplaced.

Y/N- if the contract isn't with you where exactly would it be.

Serena- I've been given the wrong file could you look through the H section. The filing team have made an error, but I don't have time to call them up. I'll find someone else to do your other jobs can you just start looking.

Y/N- okay.

I groan at the thought of going through stacks of files to find one tiny contract, but I'd rather be there than with Serena.

"Wanda I'm sorry but I have to go."

"Oh, okay. Is everything okay?" she asks sweetly.

"Yeah yeah there's just this missing contract I need to find."

"Sounds fun," she says sarcastically.

"Ah yes hours upon hours locked in a file room alone looking for a lost contract that looks like every other contract, buried in paper, the epitome of fun," I say sarcastically, she laughs.

"I'm sorry baby," she sighs.

I laugh through the frustration "it's okay but I do really have to go now."

"Okay okay I love you," she says softly. I can imagine the sweet smile on her face as she says those words.

"I love you too," I say as we hang up the phone.

I drag myself to the file room, placing the file in my hand away in its place before starting on my task. Papers fall everywhere as I pull out file after file, carefully piling each file to make sure that I know which order to put them back in.