chapter one

1 YEAR AGO

"Come on Olive! Just please ride the ferris wheel with us!" Layla said with a pout, tugging me by the arm, dragging me to the god forbidden ferris wheel.

Heights have always scared me, that's one constant in my life that has never changed. My first kindergarten rock climbing felid trip, my harness was not secured properly and I ended up falling and breaking 3 bones in my leg. Traumatizing to say the least, but hey, atleast I'm really only scared of 2 things and that's giving birth and heights.

"Layla I told you absolutely not! You know I hate heights and there's no way in hell you can convince me to get on that death machine." I said ripping my hand out of her hold. Holy fuck, she has a good grip.

The carnival has always been something me and my friends have looked forward to. It's an excuse to get away from our batshit crazy families while still being in the same area and getting black out drunk in public and nobody giving two shits about it.

The beachwood carnival has always been an event my family made sure to attend every year. I have no idea as to why it was so important we be here every year but I don't complain it's fun.

"You girls getting on this thing or what?" a blonde haired boy asks layla. She's been flirting with him all night. I seriously can't take her anywhere. I think his name is Neil? Or was it Naill? I'm not positive because I wasn't really paying attention as well as I should've been. I just know he has some expensive ass tequila in his flask.

"Sure only if you'll ride with me though," Layla responds climbing into the cart while wiggling her eyebrows at niall. Not even a millisecond later he's right beside her getting lifted into the air by the lit up spinning circle of death.

The intense scent of the sweet cotton candy and greasy food that once filled my nostrils is suddenly replaced with the scent of vanilla and musk. As I slowly look up, the most beautiful man I have ever seen steps in front of me. He had stunning features like a sharp jawline comparable to a Greek statue, and entrancing green eyes which instantly drew me in.

"So, you're not a fan of this death trap either?" The man chuckles to himself, shaking his head back and forth.

"Nope not at all. There is absolutely nothing appealing about getting spun through the air on a piece of rusty metal," I say while looking back to the man.

"I agree. Also I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself." He rasps in a deep British accent. "I'm Harry, and who are you?" The green eyed man now known as Harry asks while holding out his hand. Is he really asking to shake my hand right now?

"Oh yeah sorry I'm Olive. Olive Madden" I say with a smirk while holding my hand out for him to shake.

If only I knew what this night was going to lead to.

PRESENT DAY

"Olive Rose, wake up! You're going to be late," My dickhead of a dad screams from downstairs waking me up, pulling me out of my deep sleep. Dreams leading back to that night are not uncommon.

My biggest wish is that I could forget the whole thing.

I sit up with a groan, stretching and cracking my back. I grab my phone and check for any texts from Layla. Kayla has been my best friend since she moved in next door 5 years ago. She's seen me at my highest of highs and lowest of lows. I swear she has held my hair back more times than I remember.

"Olive get the fuck up we don't have time for this. We have to set up!" My dad repeats, only this time while storming into my room.

"Dude I'm literally getting out of bed to get dressed calm your tits and get out please." I respond while throwing the covers off my body and getting out of my bed. This man has no patience, and I'm starting to loose my patience for him.

"I don't understand what you don't comprehend. we have to be at the beach at 10 and it's already 9. We do this every single fucking year. You'd think you would be used to it by now," he snaps back with a roll of his eyes.

"Fuck, you guys go then. Jesus christ I'll just go with Layla and her family. They help set up anyways and they're literally right next door," I say while pulling out my black leggings and a simple white crop top. It's hot outside, but standing by the beach with the breeze makes for a decently chilly day.

"Oh my god, you know what? Fine. Fucking fine, just call her and go with them. I'm leaving now." my dad says while storming out of his room. Who pissed in his cheerios this morning?

After sliding into my clothes and brushing through my hair, I grab my phone to call Layla.

"Rise and shine bitch! Did your dad leave you at home?" Layla laughs into the phone. I will never get tired of hearing her laugh everyday. It's a childlike giggle, but It's one of my favorite things in the entire world.

"Actually funny you'd ask. I'll be over in a few im riding with you guys to set up. Dad was being a bitch once again." I say while grabbing my tote bag and walking out of my room.

"God, I'm sorry babe. Your dad pisses me the fuck off. But, sounds good I'll see you in a few. Love you!" She says while hanging up the phone. Usually hearing someone tell me they love me makes me uncomfortable but with Layla it's always felt right to hear. She's as close to a soulmate as I'll ever get and I wouldn't change a thing about.

Upon arriving to Layla's I open the grand front door and invite myself in simply by just walk right inside. I head up the large marble staircase I open her bedroom door to see my best friend and that blonde boy we met last year. After the carnival layla and Niall kept talking and started dating. And yes, I did eventually learn his name. Now, to this day they're still together and more in love with each other than ever. They also never make me feel excluded.

"Do we really have to help set up?" I say with a groan flopping onto Laylas huge, comfortable bed. she has on her pastel yellow covers today. Wonder what mess she made on the pink ones last night considering those ones were on when I left yesterday.

"Oh darling, according to Layla you do this every year. it'll be fine! I even packed drinks for you." Niall says sitting next to my head starting to play with my hair.

Layla grabs niall's bag and hands me one of the shot bottles of fireball. I open the tiny bottle and lift it to my lips and feel the cool cinnamon liquor slide down my throat with no problems. I fucking love fireball.

"Be careful with the drinks though Ni, wouldn't want me and olive making out on the beach because we had one to many," Layla says with a smirk knowing damn well what response she's getting back from her lovely boyfriend.

"Oh no please take more. Better yet I'll take some too! Let me join?" Niall says while getting off the bed and walking towards Layla sitting in her chair.

"What was last time not enough for you?" Layla questions and looks towards me giving me the look to add on to her sentence.

"Yeah Ni, what's wrong huh? you wanna feel us both again?" I say while moving closer to them and sitting on the edge of the bed.

Niall clears his throat and excuses himself from the room. Layla and I look at eachother and laugh while grabbing our things and telling niall to meet us in the car.

Today is going to be a long but very eventful day.