Chapter 4 - Wine

Stephen hasn't talked to me for a weeks now, he's avoided me every chance he got. And when we did have to speak, he was very cold and rude.

Tonight I was working second shift to avoid him and did my round around the nursery. I then make a run to my office but stop as I see a dim light on in Stephen's office. The door was of course open....I curse under my breath and try to pass by without him noticing. "Y/N?"

I stop in my tracks and roll my eyes. "Yeah?" I don't move.

"What are you doing here so late?"

"I could ask you the same." I finally turn and walk into his office.

"I don't really know what I'm doing here." He shrugs.

"I'm working...it's a slow shift tonight." I nod. "Luckily I'm off soon."

"Can...can I offer to make you coffee when your off? Or a drink? At my place."

"I don't know Stephen..." I shake my head as I look at my hands nervously.

His stare sent shivers down my spine.

"Please." He begs.

I bite my lip and think about it for a moment...going over every horrible and good scenario in my head, "Fine. If you start a fight or say one rude thing then I'm leaving."

"Deal." He smiles.

"I'm off in thirty, let me go home and shower first."

Once I got off, I went home to shower and threw on a black dress and my coat. I walk outside to see Stephen leaning against his car waiting. "You look great." He smiles and opens the door.

"Thank you, Stephen." I shake my head as I chuckle.

I gasp as we walk into his apartment. It was a very modern apartment, the view was breathtaking. He had a piano that sat in the corner and a table in the other. "Do you play?" I point as he walks to the kitchen.

"A little bit. Coffee or wine?"

"Wine." I say as I walk to the piano. I sit down and start to play a familiar tune my mother once played for me. I stop as he comes back and sits on the couch.

"That was beautiful."

"My mother taught me." I sit beside him and take a sip of wine. "Ah...my favorite." I smile. He looks over at me and tilts his head. "Yes I can afford this. I have money, I just don't chose to spend it on a fancy car or apartment. My father owned the apartment building I'm living in, I don't want to leave it."

"You didn't inherit it?"

"I did, he wanted me to sell it to his wealthy best friend so I can continue my dream. So I did. I've known that friend since I was a little girl, I knew he'd take care of it. Plus I live there for free." I shrug. "It reminds me of my parents." I nod and take another sip.

"It's smart you don't spend all your money."

"Like you." I smirk.

"Exactly." He laughs.

I lean my head in my hands and watch as a large goofy smile was plastered on his face. "You should laugh more often...it looks nice on you." I smile.

Stephen stares at me before suddenly standing up and rubbing his face. "God I can't keep doing this. Why did I think this was a good idea?"

"Doing what?" I stand.

"I can't keep ignoring you...and I can't keep being cold around you when all I want to do is kiss you." He whispers. "I can't just be friends with you...god I've wanted you since the day I met you."