𝑴𝒂𝒔𝒌

"I don't understand why you invited me." Astrid grumbles to her friend at the party. The wears a black long sleeved dress that reaches down to her knees, with a turtle neck while Kate wears a neat suit. The fabric of the dress clings to her curves enchanting any man or women but also covering her hidden scares beneath. 

"Your my best friend, you should be here!" replies Kate, brushing the dust off of her black suit. 

Astrid looks over to her friend and explains, "Your mother hates my guts."

"No she doesn't, you're just being dramatic." Kate defends Eleanor as she slips a drink of champagne. 

Though Kate has a hard time seeing it, her mother has a certain distaste for Astrid. Perhaps its because of Astrids freak like powers, or maybe because she is just a bad person, but Astrid could never tell Kate that. It could develop unnecessary bumps within their friendship and Astrid doesn't want to ruin it. 

An old rich man walks over to Kate trying to hand her his drink. 

"excuse me dear would you-" Armand Duquesne starts talking to Kate but Astrid looses his attention as someone else catches her eyes. Someone absolutely stunning. 

It isn't suppose to be a masquerade ball. It is simply an event for a Christmas celebration, but this woman didn't get the memo. She wears a gold dress, with a sheen fabric. Her mask is lace and bejeweled in pearls, matching the color of her dress. The woman's blonde hair is in intricate braids. Something about her screams deadly and the way she holds her self says that she is powerful. It's like she's a woman written from the most enticing novel. 

The woman in gold strides towards Astrid, her body almost hauntingly beautiful.

"Care for a dance Красо́тка?" The accented voice silkily ask. The woman's eyes wander across Astrids body, tempting her. 

"I-uh-Yes." Astrid feels her cheeks heat up in embarrassment. Never has she met anyone that has this effect over her. No man or woman. The idea of being close to anyone disgust her, but this woman makes the acceptation. The masked lady grabs her by her gloved hand, bringing her to the dance floor underneath a large crystal chandelier. 

Astrid places her hands on the woman's waist, causing her stomach to flutter in either excitement or nerves. Most likely both. The masked woman follows by putting her hands on Astrids shoulders. The sudden touch causes Astrid to flinch ever so lightly from her recent wounds. The average person wouldn't have noticed but the masked woman did. 

"What brings you here." The mysterious woman ask, "Don't get me wrong, you look out of place." The woman stumbles on her words for a moment worried to offend Astrid, "Like a flower in a field of weeds."

"A flower? what makes you say that." Astrid ask curiously. "I think Im a weed."

"No-no, you have this look," She spins Astrid as she soon follows with a twirl, "and it's not the hair." She points to Astrids shoulder length pink hair, smiling. "Weeds will overtake the environment, causing the flowers to die." 

"Morbid?" Astrid raises an eyebrow at the woman calling her a dying flower. Their bodies sway rhythmically to the Christmas music. 

"Yes, but it's easy to tell the beautiful flowers and the weeds apart." The woman claims as their bodies grow closer to each other, inch by inch. Astrid has never felt so touch starved in her life. 

"But weeds are just unloved flowers, and Im one in a garden full of roses."  Astrid conquers the deep discussion but an explosion interrupts the moment. The large building shakes as the basement beneath roars with thunder. The chandelier above the two women creaks and the chains holding it collapse. Astrid uses her powers, teleporting her and the woman to safety before the chandelier hits them.