Chapter Six

I was almost sure I was slowly going crazy, and Allie wasn't that far behind me. It wasn't the massive amount of homework we were getting or the fact that Henry had been hauled off to jail a few days ago. It was because of the werewolf. I kept having nightmares about it, those lowing yellow orbs that were its eyes, its petrifying howl that can scare anyone . . . 

I was losing sleep too, and everyone could see it. Allie was having nightmares too, but she said hers weren't 'as vivid' as mine so she was able to sleep through them. What little bags she had was easily hidden with makeup. 

So, with sleep deprivation added to the list of what we've made a mess of, there were at least three papers for each class we had. Allie could forge my handwriting and she did my homework for me as long as I came up with answers that made sense, but after the first few, I collapsed. 

“Dammit Lilly. You need sleeping pills.” she said when I woke up. 

 “They won't do anything,” I mumbled as I crawled onto my bed, eyes closed. “Just need some music,” 

“No, we need to do the homework. We're close to passing our classes with a solid 'C' and you aren't screwing this up for us.”

When the hell did she decide to focus on grades and become Ms. Ambition? Last time we talked about something like this we were dead set on dropping out of school and going to screw around in New York. But she was right, we did need to keep our grades at a passing level to avoid trouble.

“OK, we were done with math, what else?” I asked, yawning. 

“English with the parts of speech, and then some science stuff we need to Google.” she said, shuffling though the papers. “Verbs?” 

“Action words like jump and run.” 

“Noun?” 

“Person place or thing.” 

“Adjective?”

“Describing word like crazy and colorful.”

“That's it for English. Scoot over, I want to sleep too.” she said. 

It might have been awkward sleeping together if we were complete strangers, but we weren't and this was normal for us. After a few minutes of fighting over the blanket, the darkness of sleep took over. 

Run, run, run! 

I kept pushing my legs as fast as I could to escape the werewolf that was chasing me. It had already howled once and I almost was caught because of its eyes, those damn eyes. I didn't know where I was, but as long as I kept running it couldn't get me. It had been a least a few minutes and my chest was burning and I had to stop before I collapsed, but it was too late. I fell to the ground with a thud, panting  for breathe. 

Maybe now you'll understand why we were meant to stay hidden, snarled a deep voice. 

My eyes flew open, and a scream of fear was caught in my throat. That was freaky! That voice, was it my mind playing tricks on me? I didn't want to swell on the dream much longer and got out of bed, only to see it was around five. Allie was still sleeping like a baby. I thought about being mean to her and scaring her, but decided against it. 

I booted up the computer and got to work on the homework we had, but about ten minutes in I got distracted, instead looking up werewolf legends. Most of it was black magic rituals and transformations, but that was it. Why couldn't there be a list of omens and have supernatural things in it? Was that too much to ask?  

I sighed and put my head down, thinking. In dreams, your subconscious usually brings up images if what you saw in your lifetime. We saw there werewolf, and its glowing eyes, so that makes sence. But that creepy telepathic message. Was that a trick?

"Dammit, why can't this be easier?" I whined.  

Throwing myself into the homework, it was done an hour later and Allie woke up halfway through. She stole the remote to see what was on tv and got bored after word and began poking me. 

"Hey, you almost done?" she asked. 

"Almost, and - " I marked a bubble and slammed the pen down. "DONE!"

"Well, that wasn't weird."

"I'm weird, deal with !t"

We kept arguing about it until we ended up laughing like lunatics on the floor.  After that, she took the computer and I got the bed and a chance to try to figure this out. It was a full moon, so should we go back on the next one? There's also the fact that it was out during the day. It was the park. There's something there that they think must be worth guarding. That would explain everything, the guys that annoyed us, the tree that day wasn't too far, and it was ready to kill us that night.

"Lilly! Come here, look at this," she called, waving me over.

I crouched down and saw she brought up a page with them moon cycles for this month and looked at me. What was she trying to do?

"The next full moon is two weeks from now. If we go back there, maybe we can investigate again." she said eagerly.

"Um, about that. You remember how you thought the hill was something important?" She nodded. "You might have been right. Each time we've gone there, there's been something weird."

"I was thinking the same thing, those guys were there and they were weird," she agreed, tapping her chin. "plus last time the werewolf almost got us. So now what, the hill is definitely worth checking out."

"We go at the next full moon and check it out. Everyday after school we spend half an hour there, mapping it out and noting anything odd. Then we should have enough information to know what to do next," I said without thinking.

"And you claim you don't know what to do." she accused. 

"I don't. It was just a plan that came out without my thinking." I defended. "Come one, you have homework to copy."

She groaned and began to copy my paper while I was flipping channels so we could play a game. The Wii was set up in my room and there were a few games, and Allie liked the older ones like Mario and admittedly, they were fun. When she saw what I was doing, her face lit up.

"Oh yeah! I'm so gonna beat you!" she exclaimed, holding her fist up. "I am the master of Mario Kart!"

"And the master of the crazies," I muttered, handing her a controller. "pipe down and let's play."

After hours od playing video games without a break, my mom called and said she'd be working late. That wouldn't have been a problem if we weren't paranoid as hell. We ordered pizza with money she left us last time, and just did random things in the meantime.

But when it was night, things got really scary (and bad) for us.