Chapter Twenty Four

It was unbearably hot. I couldn't remember what had happened last before I passed out, but I could feel the sweat dripping down my skin and the fear something was wrong. Even though I was sure I was drifting back into consciousness, my only hope was I wasn't in the hospital. Tossing and turning, opening my eyes showed I was in the living room, on the couch.

"She's awake!" yelled Allie, peering over my face. "What happened?"

"Wha?" My mouth was dry. "Water,"

"Here," Mom said, handing me a glass of water. Sitting up dazed, it took a minute to register everything. I was home, away from them. I looked down for a minute before sighing. "What happened?"

"It was -- I saw Henry. He saw me and tried to talk, but before he could get any close -- I stabbed him with the screwdriver -- " I stumbled out, trying to catch my breath.

There wasn't a need to look at their faces. Appalled and shocked, I wasn't sure how Mom would react. The over protective parent role was bound to come back, and that would cause a problem with tonight . . .

"I'll drive you to the park," she said. "I don't want you two out late anymore, but if the astronomy thing means that much to you, I'll drive you. Call beforehand so I can come get you, you know the deal."

"Okay," whispered Allie slowly.

"Go if you want, but just remember, I won't be far." Mom said, as if it was an ominous warning.

"Got it," I said, swinging my legs over the side of the couch. "Can I move around?"

"Yeah, your lucky though. I almost took you to the hospital when Allie screamed." she told me. "Is there anything you want?"

"No," I lied. "Just wanna walk."

Mom never took her eyes off me as I paced back and forth in the cramped living room. I needed to move, but my episode caused a problem. She said she wouldn't be far. That was a good and bad thing to know. Eventually it was time to go and she gave us a ride, but after we were at the park, we knew she didn't drive far. I kept looking towards where she dropped us off, waiting to hear the engine or see the plain white car creep back into view. It never did.

"Come on," pushed Allie. "They're waiting."

Alec and Roy were waiting behind the hill this time, Alec a worried look on his face while Roy had a smug smirk on his. Part of me wanted to wipe it off his face, but the other part found it sexy. Stop it, I hissed to myself. There's a mission to think of.

"You two ready?" Alec asked.

"Yeah, catch." Allie said, tossing him the screwdriver. When was it cleaned? She looked at me, then nodded her head. I hated her putting me in the role to be a leader. I was too weak and shy and she knew it; she just loved to see me suffer.

"There's another issue. An old friend is on the loose and could attack us." I said.

"Friend?" Roy crossed his arms.

"Okay, fine. My mom's abusive ex boyfriend who's supposed to be in prison isn't, and he's in town. Better?" I asked. For some reason, being direct didn't bother me. Allie seemed to nod knowingly, as if she would know this would happen. Nerves, I told myself. That's it.

"Abusive?" Alec asked, raising an eyebrow.

"He's tried to beat us a few times," I stated. Allie coughed behind me, not trying to be silent. "Okay, fine. He was -- is -- a drunk that's messed up and he could show up out of nowhere."

They looked at us both, wide eyed in surprise and question. I didn't think that it was worth mentioning, but Allie just had to change it and make me say it.

"Why would you think that keeping this would be a good idea?" asked Roy.

"I don't know." I said. I didn't, that was it. Maybe it was because I thought that it would only add to the stress tonight, and I didn't want them to worry.

"It's getting late, we should start walking." Alec said to nobody in particular, kicking the dirt. I shot him a grateful look, he just smiled back.

In silence we began walking, and I couldn't stop the thoughts racing through my head. Would it be okay? What if someone got hurt? What if the devil conscious peaked again and aimed to kill everyone in sight? Stop it, get a hold of yourself. It's only Chelsea.

And Henry.

Would it kill you to leave me alone to worry?

It snickered before fading away again, leaving me and my thoughts alone. Roy and Alex were here, the would help us if things got ugly. It should have been reassuring but it wasn't. I looked behind me out of impulse and was relieved to see their was nothing but the empty sidewall behind us.

"Any bets who it is?" asked Alec, trying to lighten the mood.

"The fucking Slender man," joked Allie. That got a few chuckles from everyone, seemingly doing good.

"Oh yeah, Slender man's totally there, waiting to get us. Excuse me, Mr. Slendy, please don't kill us, we didn't mean to find your house," added Roy, unable to keep a straight face.

Me and Allie busted out laughing after that. Alec tried to smother his laughter but failed, then it occurred what was going on. Joking about the whole thing was the alternative to being scarred to death by who awaited us at the industrial park. It was worth it though, a humorous moment between the four of us.

It was getting dark now. The world around us began to turn black as the cold air began to pick up. Now I was regretting not bringing a jacket like I should have. Teeth chattering, I spun my head around when I felt something on my shoulders. Roy looked down at me, seeming to be amused. For some reason his eyes seemed to sparkle . . .

"I can hear your teeth chattering, just take the coat." he said.

"You didn't have to do that," I muttered, sliding my arms through the sleeves. It was warm. Like him. Trying to think straight, I bit my lip and tried to keep my gaze forward, on the path in front of us.

"You want me to take it back?" he asked.

"No." I immediately replied, zipping it. Butterflies in my stomach, I hoped my blush wasn't visible in the dark. I always forgot how outright weird I acted around crushes.

"How nervous are you?"

"Not much," I lied, looking down then back up.

"Really?" he asked playfully. "I know what you were thinking about earlier."

"Am I that easy to read?" I hoped I didn't sound too shocked when asking.

"Maybe just to me, everyone's different." he chuckled. "And I just made this awkward."

"Not as awkward as this." I said, smiling. Stepping behind him, I began running and jumped on his back, legs around his waist and smiling like an idiot on his ear. "Now, awkward?"

When he didn't say anything and kept walking, I took the chance to annoy him.

"Onward, slave!" I pointed forward.

That caused Alec and Allie to look over at us in question. Allie just started laughing uncontrollably and Alec looked at us both like it was just an odd occurrence. I felt my cheeks go read and looked the other way.

"Now who's the the awkward position?" he asked, a smirk in his voice.

"Shaddup," I said, burying my face in the crook of his neck. I knew I would never live this down, but it felt right to act stupid. They wanted me to stop being so shy, this is what they got: a complete goofball. If only this would hold out for the duration of the meeting.