Chapter Nine

As we walked, Allie kept asking questions and wouldn't shut up, and the aggravation was clear on Roy's face. For some reason, I thought it was worth it. Alec seemed to be having fun talking to her, and I wondered if they would get together in the future.

We followed them down the hatch and down the halls, this time instead of tortes the halls seemed to be letting light in through invisible windows. It was cool, yet creepy in a way, like a modern Gothic castle.

They led us down the hall and through the double doors at the end, and it looked surprisingly nice. There were tables with chairs lined up against the walls and toward the front, there was something that resembled a throne. Was it?

"You two are going to meet he elder of the pack, be respectful." warned Roy, aiming it at Allies. She smirked and I kicked her in the shins, causing her to give me the finger. I mouthed, "you wish" before going through the second pair of double doors.

There was a throne that looked like the one we seen in the other room, but this one had a person sitting on it. His grandfatherly face looked at us, and smiled softly. His grey hair was wild, and his round glasses made it look like his eyes were too big for his face, reminding me of a pastor.

"Alec, Roy, who have you brought here today?" he asked warmly.

"Father, these are the two who were caught peeking." explained Roy. "We brought them at your request."

Since when can he act formal? 

"Ah, yes. You two have been bitten and must live with the curse that you have brought on yourselves.  When the next full moon arrives, you will be here before nightfall and know the feeling of being a werewolf. I suggest staying around here in order to get used to it," he explained. "and don't listen to anyone when they try to tell you myths."

I was shocked beyond words. So this was really happening, and there was no way out. The pain of transforming for the first time, getting to know the other pack members, and everything that went with it. I felt a mixture of excitement and horror inside, and knew exactly why. How would we explain this to mom?

They led us out and back into the other room and sat down for a minute to take everything in. Allie seemed to care less about the whole thing, examining her nails with great interest. 

"Why do you call him, 'father' ?" I asked. 

"Well, some wolves here are religious and believe that being a werewolf is being the devils servant. He's kind of like the elder and pastor, helping to guide us when we're confused about things, or having issues adjusting. He was once the alpha, back when he was young. But now, he's happy with being the elder." Roy explained, looking at me. 

"Wow. You guys sound lucky to have him." I said lightly. 

"Boring!" Allie jumped up, looking like she was ready to go wild.  

I looked at her like she was turning into a twelve year old. What was wrong with her? Usually she could sit through things she needed, but this wasn't right. 

"Look, you can go act stupid if you want, but I want to learn how things go around here." I said firmly. Our eyes met, challenging each other. 

"This is boring through!" she whined. 

"Who did we just talk to?" I asked. 

"Some elder that thinks he's God." 

I glared at Alec, anger seething off me. He held up his hands in surrender, his eyes saying he didn't do anything to her.

"Sometimes when the news is recent, acting out happens. Usually it goes away after the first transformation," he explained. "I didn't do anything, we just joked around, and the next full moon isn't for a while."