Chapter Eight

The void I was in was scary, no, it was terrifying. It was all black surrounding me and then the burning fire came rushing at me, and it burnt me to a crisp every time. The heat from it was like hell, but it was heat mixed a prickling sensation.

This scene replayed over and over again until I realized I could move. I opened my eyes, sat up, and looked around the room. I was in a bed, covered up and a bucket of water by my side. The same was done for Allie, who was still asleep on the other side of the room.

I got up and walked around but the prickling in my leg made me stop. I remembered the marks and looked at both of them. The claw marks were still there, and they began to scab over. The bite marks on my leg were healing thought, the scab not very noticeable. 

"Allie, Allie," I called over. "Cherry face!"

I was losing patience because I was scared and my mom would kill us because of how late we've been out. I limped over and began to shake her awake. 

"Wha? Was' happin?" she slurred. 

"We almost died, now we need to get out of here." I said. "You were scratched by a werewolf." 

She instantly woke up after that, and we ran out the door and got to the end of the hall, away from the double doors. We were at the ladder going up and I made her go first so I could look out. When she was at the top, I heard voices coming towards me and climbed up the latter, and I thought one of them saw me before I was completely out. It didn't matter, we were out. Once back on top, I slammed the hatch shut and we ran down the hill.

"Allie, call mom. It's late," I said.    

"K," she said, pulling her phone out. Seconds later, she looked at me with a scared look on her face. "She'll be here on five minutes." 

Once my mom was parked by the diner, she was beyond pissed to see us. After lecturing us about how she thought we'd be home and everything, but when she gave us a chance to expain, Allie lied like a rug. 

"We fell asleep. The teacher was pointing out constilations to us and we fsort of, kinda, maybe dozed off. We didn't hear the phone go off and as soon as we woke up we called you. We're sorry," she explained. 

"You two aren't off the hook. You're grounded. Have be in the house by eight, do all the chores for two weeks, and if your grades aren't up by the time your punishment is over, it'll be all over again," she threatened. 

"Eh, it's fair." I said, then conversation dropped. I knew she was still mad at us, but when two kids get attacked by werewolves the last thing on their mind is getting home on time.

Once we walked in through the door, she made up go to our room and took Allie's phone away. It didn't matter, but she was upset about it. We went into my room and I looked at Allie's marks. They were scabbing over, but it was still bad. 

"Ow, careful, it hurts," she hissed through clenched teeth.

"Well what do you expect?" I hissed back. "You have to cover it,"

"I know. What about you?" she asked.

"I don't know, I was bit on the leg and scratched across my stomach," I said, irritated. "It hurts to walk, and my stomach isn't bad." 

"Great. So we could turn into werewolves anytime and then what? We lose control, maybe kill a few people and then we're on the run for the rest of our lives, just great!" she said, freaking out. 

"Look, legend has it that if you're bitten or scratched by a werewolf, you become one. Whether we will or not is up for debate, but we can't freak out." I explained, and then smiled. "If we do then it'll be so cool!"