Chapter Eighteen

Dinner was silent, the only sounds being the clanking of metal on glass and someone setting a glass down. I hated the silence, it made me feel like we all hated each other and there was something wrong. I didn't want to speak up, but I did on impulse.

"So, how's work mom?" I asked timidly. 

"Busy." she replied, forking her plate. 

So no one was in the mood to talk. A sad look on face face, I silently played with my food, seeing it as a distraction instead of a meal. My thoughts drifted back to Chelsea and Katrina. What was going on with them? Chelsea was obviously one of them and was attempting something, maybe a treaty? She was on to something. Katrina was also a bit of a concern, seeing as we didn't know much about her. 

"Lilly!" shouted Allie, slamming the table.

Snapping my head up, I looked around, seeing my mother and Allie looking at me. "Wha?" 

"Do you want to forget this and go out for dinner?" asked my mother, sincerity in her voice. "I know what I made isn't any good," She gestured to the mush of brown and yellow and green on our plates.

"Sure, let's get something that doesn't look like a baby's puke." I said, pushing my plate back.

"Scrape it into the garbage, take it out to the bin and we're out?" asked Allie. She nodded, and Allie held her hands up and then pointed at me. "Ha! You deal with the garbage!" 

"You scrape the food off then," I said, pushing mine towards her. "Only fair?" 

Grumbling to herself, she grabbed both our plates and went into the kitchen, while my mother started washing the dishes. After Allie was done, she shot me a smirk of victory. If only she knew. The stench of the garbage was revolting, and holding my breathe until I was out the door and the bag was in the bin was torture. I wasn't good at holding my breathe, and garbage in general stunk. 

We settled on a local burger joint that was more or less average with its country styled theme with old music playing in the background. Now I remembered why this place annoyed me. It tried to make you feel like you were in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, but you had wifi. We were seated and the waiter, a young and stocky guy, took our orders before disappearing back into the kitchen.

"Why's everyone so quiet? Someone die?" asked Allie, looking at my, and them mom.

A small giggle escaped, and I had to fight not to burst out laughing. Only Allie could ask something like that and not feel awkward.

"No one died," mom explained. "It's just that I'm worried. Work is keeping me busy now and even though Henry's in jail, I still think something isn't right." 

So she felt like that too. 

"He's in jail, relax. It's not like he was in a gang and they busted him out," pointed out Allie, as if it were nothing. 

"So the fact that there's a psychotic drunk that could be out of jail and hurt us doesn't worry you?" I asked her.

"He's in jail, when he gets out we can worry." she said, a bit too dismissive. 

"She's right," mom said. "He's still going to be in there for a few months, it's nothing to worry about." 

So because I can worry about the slightest of things, I'm the only one who's paranoid about him possibly going after mom and possibly us? After chewing on the inside of my cheek for a few minutes and trying to be rational, I pushed the thought out of my head. They were right, we can deal with it when it gets here. Even though the thought would keep nagging me.

Our food was brought, and Allie and mom ate and talked quietly, while I just pondered my burger. I knew I was out of it, but whenever I tried to think about something, a white blank sheet popped into my head. After that I didn't remember eating or getting up to leave. Once we were home and Allie and I retreated upstairs, she turned to me with a wicked smile on her face after closing the curtain. 

"Full moon." 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I got my laptop back, yay! It got back, writer block hit, yeah. I know this is boring but this is the best I can do now. I promise the next chapter will be better. ~ Shadow,