Chapter 7

The bathing suit and wetsuit were hard to get on, but once on they were fine. As Ash and Tobin ran off with me, we heard all the ladies laying down shout be careful and it made all three of us laugh louder. I'm sure they heard us. As we reached the start of the water we walked past Mal "Oh Zari, I'm sorry" She said laughing "What?" I questioned, confused on what she was talking about then the next minute I was under water. I came spluttering to the surface glaring at Ash who was laughing waist deep in water. How did I not notice we were so deep. As she was laughing I tackled her, catching her off guard and plunging her into the water. 

I watched a Ash burst out of the water with a surprised look on her face "You did not just do that" She said to me "Well I did what you gonna do about it shark girl" I said with as much sas as I could muster without laughing "Oh your going down fish girl!" Ash shouted before pouncing on me pushing us both underwater. We both came up laughing "You know what that's my new nickname for you, Fishy" Ash said matter of factually "Fine only if I get to call you Sharky" I retaliated "Hell yeah Sharky and Fishy coming through bitches!" Ash shouted.

                                                                  _____________________

After a while of messing around we headed back up the beach to grab the boards "Hey Christen, Kells you guys coming?" Ash asked the two women "Sure" They both responded in unison. We all made our way to the water's edge with boards in hand. Nervous was definitely not the word I would use to describe how I was feeling right now. I would probably say, terrified or maybe even petrified. I have never done anything like this before, my heart was pounding in my chest. I took a deep breath before following the other adults into the water and paddling deeper on my board. 

When I caught up with the rest of the group I turned my board around and waited for a wave. After a couple of minutes of drifting over small waves and having to paddle further out, the opportunity finally came. I started to paddle just like Ash and the others were doing and caught the wave perfectly. I slowly moved to my knees whilst still keeping the board stable and then moved to stand on the board. I was wobbly at first but I found my balance quickly, I rode the wave into shore, and was met with loud cheering and clapping.

I looked up to find the whole team watching me. I blushed and ran back into the water with my board in my arms until I got about waist deep then I jumped up onto my board and paddled to join Ashlyn. "Hey well done fishy" She said when I reached her, I looked at her and smiled "Thanks. That was exhilarating" I said, a large smile pinned on my face. After a few runs we were all getting tired so we decided to go relax on the beach with the other players.

As we walked nearer and put our boards down Alex pulled out a towel and laid it down next to hers "Zari come sit by me" She said, and I did as told. "Hey kid, you might want to take the wetsuit off, you're gonna get cold" Alyssa pointed out "Yeah you should take it off Zari I don't want you getting a cold" Christen said coming over to me. "Christen, I'm fine" I said panicking "Are you sure?" She asked, stopping behind me "Yeah" I said smiling up at her.

"ZARI" I heard from behind me and froze. Ash stood up and stepped behind me, in front of the person who shouted. "Sir, can I help you?" Ash asked politely "Yes you can move so I can get my daughter" My dad said in his gruff voice "Fishy this your dad?" Ash asks, a concerned look on her face "Y-yeah" I stuttered and started to stand up and go towards him when Christen grabbed my arm "You need your stuff" She said "Oh right" I mumbled. "Here" Alex said passing me my bag, I shot her a small forced smile and slung it over my shoulder.

Ashlyn's POV

I know I'm not the only one who noticed Zari's mood shift as soon as her dad turned up. I didn't want to let her go with him but he was her legal guardian. I stepped aside as Zari walked past me and was hit with the smell of alcohol. I frowned "Sir, how are you taking Zari home? If you don't mind me asking" I asked "I'm driving. Why'd you ask?" He replied, his voice rough with anger. "Are you drunk?" I question "Why?" He asks me, avoiding my question.