Chapter 23

Zari

Training was cut a little short as the team had lost their interest after what had happened. If they lose their game tomorrow because of me... The thought trailed off as Alex and Christen walked over. "Hey sweetheart, you feeling okay?" Mama asked, kneeling in front of me, I nodded and kept picking at the grass, not looking up. "We're heading back to the hotel now. You ready?" Alex asked, once again I nodded and stood to my feet, clutching a handful of grass. "Why don't we leave the grass here?" Mama asked, I frowned and shook my head. Just then mum jogged up to us, "hey everything alright?" she asked "Zari doesn't want to let go of the grass" Alex explained.

Mum squatted down so she could see my face and when she came into my view she had a soft smile on her face. "Hey kiddo" she said, her voice soft, which made me relax. "Wanna tell me why you don't want to let go of the grass?" she asked, I shook my head and Mum nodded the soft smile still on her face. "Can we maybe make a trade?" She asked, I thought about it for a minute then nodded. "Hmm how about holding my hand instead?" She questioned. I shook my head and looked away from her, she tapped my knee and I snapped my head back to her.

"How about..." she thought for a second "My keys?" I nodded and mums' smile grew and she stood up. She kissed my head and jogged over to her bag. When she returned she was swinging her keys around her finger. Crouching down again, she took my hands and whipped away all the grass and then handed me the keys. I fiddled with them and mum picked me and walked over to where all the team were gathering their things. I didn't care that my mum had just picked me up, I was too preoccupied with her keys.

She placed me back down on my feet for a second, probably to grab her bag, then picked me back up again. She carried me over to the coach and let mama and Alex get on first before climbing on herself. She made her way to an empty pair of seats and put me down. Mum quickly put her bag away then guided me to sit down. We made it quickly back to the hotel and outside the coach were a bunch of paparazzi. "Shit" I heard someone say and mum quickly pulled my head away from the window. Most of the team got off the coach, wanting to get inside and have a shower.

Tobin

I had never expected so many paparazzi to be by the hotel. I looked back at Alex and Chris "What do we do?" I questioned worriedly. "Hey let me take Zari inside. Put a cap on her and cover her with a jacket" Alyssa said. I blinked "I thought you got off with everyone else" I said to her. "Thanks for the offer Lyss" Chris said "Hey Zari do you mind if Lyss carries you in?" Zari shrugged in response.

"Okay, here's the hat" Chris said after rustling in her bag "We can use my jacket" Alex said, standing up and pulling off her jacket and handing it to me. I put the cap on Zari's head and pulled it down so it covered her eyes. Zari just stood there fiddling with my keys. I guess it's kinda easy to distract her then. "Okay Lyss pick her up and I'll put the jacket over her" I instructed and Alyssa nodded. She stood up and lifted Zari into her arms, Zari lent her forehead against her shoulder still looking at the keys in her hands. I placed the jacket over Zari's head and Alyssa's shoulder. When I stood back I couldn't see any of Zari's face. I nodded in satisfaction.

"I got your bag Lyss don't worry about it" Alex said from behind me "Thanks Lex. Everyone ready?" she asked, "Yeah, let's go," I said. Christen walked off first with Alyssa and Zari just behind her, me and Alex following closely behind. When we stepped off the paparazzi started shouting and cameras started clicking. Zari started struggling in Alyssa's arms. Christen hadn't noticed so I jogged forward and placed my hand under the jacked. Zari seemed to recognise my hand and clung to it tightly. Alyssa walked faster and I kept pace.

We made it to the elevator and I pulled back the jacket. Zari had tears streaming down her face and she looked terrified. Alyssa put her down on her feet and Zari instantly sprang to cling on to Christen. "Hey, hey it's okay now" Christen said softly, she removed the cap and kissed Zari's head. We got to the team floor and many were just standing outside their doors. "God where were you guys?" Becky said, jogging up to them and taking Alyssa's hand. "We had to hide Zari from the pap" I said, trying to help Christen walk as Zari wouldn't let go.