Chapter 20

Ashlyn

I had tears in my eyes as Ali, myself, Kelley and Allie cleaned up Tobin and Christen's hotel room. Alex had to leave, everything was too much for her to bear. That's when there was a knock on the door, I looked at Ali then went and answered it. "Hi Emily" I said, to a happy Sonnett who was bouncing on her toes. "Hey, is Zari here? It's nearly dinner... Ash? What's wrong?" Sonnet said, her tone changing quickly to one of concern.

"You should come in." I said, letting her step past me into the room. "What happened here? Why are you all cleaning the Preath family's room?" Em asked. "Something happened with Zari" I said "What do you mean? Is she okay?" Sonnet asked that urgency in her voice coming back. I grabbed her shoulders and guided her to sit down then sat next to her. "We haven't told anyone yet" I started but Emily interrupted "Ash please just get to the point" Emily said, I sighed and then started to explain.

"Me, Ali, Tobin and Christen came back to the room and Zari had locked herself in the bathroom. We tried to get her to open the door but she never answered. We kept trying to get her to answer but still nothing. Tobin went to inform Jill and found Kelley and Allie on the way. Jill went and talked to the manager and he gave us the green light to break down the door." I said, then took a breath before saying the next part. "When we got through the door we found Zari in the tub, she had cut her wrist and was unconscious."

I looked at Sonnett and she looked like she was about to break down. I pulled her towards me and into a hug where she finally broke down. "It's okay Em, we can go see her after dinner okay?" I told her and I felt her nod into my shoulder. That's when there was another knock on the door, I kept hold of Sonnett and Ali went to answer the door. "Uh hey um it's time for dinner and I was wondering Emily is here" I heard Lindsey say from the door.

Emily pulled away from me and whipped her face then stood up and walked over to the door. "Hey babe" She said, sniffling and wiping her face again "Baby whats wrong?" Lindsey said, stepping forward to cup Emily's face. Ali stepped away to give them some space. " Zari has been taken to the hospital" I said, speaking for Emily and Lindsey looked at me sadly "Is she gonna be okay?" She asked, "We don't know yet," Ali answered. "We should go down," Allie said, coming over and putting her hand on my shoulder. I nodded in agreement, standing up and Ali came up to me and whipped the tears that I didn't even know had fallen. She smiled at me lightly then gave me a soft kiss on the lips and I smiled back at her when she pulled away.

Ali took my hand and gently pulled me from the room, into the corridor. I could see Emily and Lindsey standing by the elevator holding each other tightly. I gripped Ali's hand tighter and walked with her and ended up behind Em and Lindsey. By the time the elevator had arrived Kelley and Allie had joined us. We all rode the elevator down to the dining hall floor. As we were walking out of the elevator I spotted Alex walking towards the exit. "Al where are you going?" I called after her and she turned around. Even though there was distance between us I could clearly see that she had been crying.

"I'm taking a car to the hospital so Tobin and Christen and I can come back anytime" She explained then walked away. The group of us that rode down together walked over to the dining hall and when we opened the doors 14 pairs of eyes looked at us. Kelley and Allie walked forward and went to get their food. Me and Ali and Emily and Lindsey followed in their footsteps. When I sat down at the vets table the other vets looked at me with concern but didn't say anything. I tried to enjoy my meal but my mind was a mess.

"Evening ladies, can I please have your attention." Jill said as she stood at the front of the room. " As you may have noticed we are missing a couple of our players. Well unfortunately earlier this evening Tobin and Christen found their daughter unconscious in their bathroom. Zari had unfortunately tried to take her own life. She has been taken to the hospital and Tobin, Christen and Alex are with her. If you do wish to go see her please let me know. Thank you, that is all"
I looked around the room after Jill's little speech and the whole team either had tears in their eyes or their hand over their mouths. I felt someone grab my hand and so I looked up and saw Carli looking at me with a sad smile. I tried to smile back but tears started rolling down my face instead.