Chapter 11: "Who would have thought"

Rosie above 

Hannah POV

I spent the last two days pretty much all the time in my room. I wasn't in the mood to go anywhere or to do anything, plus my bruises hurt a lot. 

I spared the twins the details of what happened to me. They only know that Andrew was trying to hurt me and that Mikkeli punished him for that. They insisted on staying with me, and that's what they did. We spent the whole day in one room, mostly talking about what we liked in here and what we didn't like, a little about parents, and a little about how great it would be to have them still around. I was happy that they were with me but also tired because it took me a lot of strength not to cry in front of them, and honestly, that was the only thing I was in the mood to do. Even though nothing happened, the real damage wasn't done; it was still awful. 

I can still feel their hands on me, and it makes me sick.

Thank God I have Kyle.

 In the evening, when the children were finally asleep, he let me cry on his shoulder as much as I needed to, and I think I was crying for at least an hour. He was holding me gently, saying that it wasn't my fault, that everything would be alright, that they were gone, and I was safe. 

Kyle may be an omega, so according to Mikkeli standards, he's weak, but I disagree with it. Kyle is not weak, he is just gentle and kind, and it's good to have a friend like him. He also asked me how I felt about being Mikkeli's mate. And the problem is I couldn't give him the correct answer because ever since Mikkeli and I met, there have been only bitterness and harsh words between us, but for some reason, thinking of him rejecting me makes me feel... sad.

Kyle didn't seem surprised by my statement. According to him, humans can feel the bond too, not so strong as werewolves, but they recognize the pull towards their mate, and the bond will grow stronger with the passing of time. The only way to stop this is rejection, and apparently, only Mikkeli can do it. As a human, I don't feel the pull so strongly, but I also cannot break the bond, and that is what raises another question if Mikkeli doesn't want me, why won't he reject me? Why didn't he do it at the beginning?

Well, after two days, I lost the opportunity to keep pitting myself because everyone in the pack was involved in preparing for an annual gathering. As Rose explained to me, it is a very important meeting when pack allies will be visiting our territory, at least those with territories closest to ours. They will renegotiate the treaties between themselves if necessary and develop joint strategies to fight the enemies like hunters and rogues.

 It's also an opportunity to present the strength of our pack, so Rose and everybody are extremely focused on making this event a perfection, which involves lots of cleaning, cooking, and decorating for at least three days. 

During those days, I haven't seen Mikkeli at all; also, I haven't seen Byron. I keep avoiding going alone into the woods, so even if he wants to approach me, I make it impossible for him because he for sure is focused on keeping all this "being my mate thing" a secret from everybody.

The pack keeps gossiping about what happened to Andrew and his friend. Most asked how I was feeling and showed some sympathy. Some are avoiding the topic staring silently at my bruises, but from time to time, I can hear whispers, exactly like now.

I'm currently helping Kyle set the table for the dinner because all those important werewolves will be here in a couple of hours, and I can see two females gossiping and eyeing us from the other side of the room.

"Who would have thought that we could have another omega crisis like with Cara," they say, and I see Kyle visibly flinches hearing their words. I can see his lips trembling as he tries not to cry; soon, he runs to the kitchen, and I follow him. Everything is clean here now; the window is fixed, and some furniture and the door were replaced.