Chapter 19: "The longest full moon in my life" Part 1

Smut warning in this chapter

Mikkeli POV

I'm sitting on the porch at the packhouse observing my pack members. They are eating, joking, talking, dancing, drinking, and having fun. It's been some time since we organized any kind of party here. When Hayden's mother was a Luna, it was customary to have at least one party a month, and people seemed to enjoy that. After I took over as an Alpha, Hayden convinced me to go back to this tradition even though we didn't have them that often, and it was quite a long time since the last time.

But I can see that my pack needed this. All my warriors know we are ahead of a big operation against hunters, and there will be lots of training and bloodshed in the future, so they need the moment of relief, the moment with their families. 

 Rose prepared everything perfectly, as always. Big wooden tables are full of delicious food prepared under her surveillance, lanterns placed all over the garden behind the packhouse are making this evening very bright, and people are dancing in the big square in the middle of the garden. They all seem relaxed and happy, and I enjoy watching them; honestly, during all these parties, I was not necessarily engaged in any type of having fun. I prefer observing and allowing all my pack members to see and experience the companionship of their Alpha.

Hayden is sitting at the table with Jason and James, and they're deep into the conversation; next to them is Rose feeding little Rosie and Hannah...

In the crowd, I can see Hannah dancing with Kyle, I can admire her beautiful features. She looks astonishing today, dressed in a gauzy orange dress with white dots. Her long hair is loose, her cheeks are rosy, and her eyes are sparkling. Kyle is a perfect dancing partner for her; they move very graciously, and observing them is delightful. 

 Byron is purring in my subconsciousness, extremely calm and happy. I am also extremely happy with the fact that I can openly ogle her without anybody noticing and disrupting me. She looks in my direction occasionally, and I enjoy the smiles she sends me. I try not to worry about the upcoming war with hunters, and I try not to worry about someone targeting my nephews, I try not to worry about the fact that the Beta of Full Moon pack approached Hannah, even though I was livid when she told me about their encounter. Honestly, I wanted to break Hayden's neck for putting her in danger and letting her leave the pack territory unguarded. But right now, I just enjoy the moment.

" You really should do something about it" I look up and see Tony standing to my left. "It's high time for you to admit and accept her, Mikkeli. Seriously what are you waiting for?"

"I'm still unsure," I sigh. "I don't even know what she wants."

"Well, my suggestion is to ask her," Tony says," or do what I did when I found my mate, ask her out, give her flowers, and stop sending me death glares. You will never reject her because you are in love with her."

"Being in love with someone does not guarantee that you will be happy with them," I avert my eyes from him to look again at Hannah.

She's now dancing with Gideon, which makes me squeeze my fists. Tony giggles, realizing why I'm jealous. My best friend seems to enjoy my suffering.

"Good for you; she won't leave until the boys are 18, so you have at least six more years to make your move. Try not to kill Gideon again. He's an excellent pack doctor," he pats my shoulder.

Tony leaves me alone and goes in the direction of his mate; I envy the courage he had to have to decide to stay with somebody for his life; it's the courage I still have trouble finding within me. I never consider mating seriously. 

Of course, I knew that one day I would have a Luna because, as an Alpha, I needed her to run the pack successfully, and of course, I needed an heir. But I pictured it more like a business deal, a marriage of convenience when my Luna would always have my respect but not necessarily my love. To be honest, I was also not interested in having someone to love me. I thought I didn't need that, and I hoped I could avoid my fate, but it seems like the Moon has decided to play a joke on me by placing on my road the one thing I didn't want and, at the same time, desperately desired.