Chapter 26: "Because we haven't had sex"

Rose above

Hannah POV

It's been ten days now.

10 days till Mikkeli and our pack warriors will leave to fight the common enemy of the werewolf's world. The funny thing is, I think our pack warriors. I wonder, since when I started to think about this place as my home, since when I started to feel connected with people living here, since when I started to worry about the future of children who are growing up here?

Since all our allies and their warriors went home to make the final preparation, we live under the illusion of peace and quiet.

Kyle's wounds get healed, unfortunately, only those physical ones. He still spends most of his time in his room, still sad, still hurt. Even though we are most of the time together, and I can see that he is slightly better, I become painfully aware that something in him is broken, something he may never be able to mend back together.

 I still don't know what he thinks about gaining two older brothers so unexpectedly. Both Hayden and Mikkeli are extremely busy lately but still manage to find some time to have at least small talk with Kyle once a day. Watching from a distance how they slowly try to build a relationship with their younger brother makes me extremely angry at their father. 

How cruel can you be to treat your own children as objects, to assess their value with their physical strength and with the strength of their wolves, making them believe that parental love is something you should earn, not something that is your birthright and should be unconditional? How cruel you can be to deny your child, to abandon him, knowing very well that he would be vulnerable, neglected, and abused.

Even though Hayden is guilty of a big crime, he still managed to become a father and be a good one. The relationship between him and my brothers is slowly improving; the boys are slowly warming up to him again, letting him closer.

The only one who doesn't seem to be bothered by family problems is Rosie. She's happy here; her joyful personality keeps this family together. She got attached to Rose, Hayden, Kyle, and, lately, also, Mikkeli. She keeps asking less and less about our parents, and she called me mommy a couple of times.

Even though when we all were first dragged here against our will, I could only see threats surrounding us, now I see people caring about us and the place we call home.

And that's why I'm worried; I'm scared when I think about the upcoming battle. I look at our warriors, I look at Mikkeli, and I cannot stop worrying about their safety. I cannot stop thinking that some of them, or maybe all of them, won't come back. I doubt that Mikkeli would ever decide to attack if he wasn't sure of his victory if he wasn't sure of his plan, but when I look at him, I cannot stop worrying that something may happen to him. And I know that he's worried too. I see it in the way he speaks lately, in the way he is tensed lately, and then in the fact that he decided to trust Hank.

Right now, I'm sitting in the car with Mikkeli; we are on our way to the city, it's the last Friday of the month, and I'm squeezing in my hand the business card which Hank gave me some time ago. Hayden knows about that, and he's not happy with it, but even he had to agree with the fact that the Blackwood pack must confirm that they can trust the Full Moon pack in the face of the upcoming fight.

"You've got 10 minutes," says Mikkeli when he stops the car, I look at the bar on the other side of the road.

"I'm not kidding, Hannah. You won't be back in 10 minutes, and I will go there and probably kill someone. Do we have it clear?" I can hear the tension in his voice; he's definitely nervous.

"Yes, Mikkeli, I know you're worried, but I'm a grown-up girl. I can take care of myself."

"I know you are, I know you can; I still give you 10 minutes before I raise a hell."