Prologue

Ten Years Ago

Ten Years Ago

I can always tell when daddy is angry. I can always tell because it's when he hits us. But I'm told that if I listen, I won't be bruised.

Mommy is very smart. I always do what she tells me because it helps keep me safe. That is why I hide in my closet when he enters the house, angry shouts and curses bouncing off of the walls downstairs.

"I told you once before Amelia! You don't question the things I do!" I can hear daddy shout. Mommy must have done something to upset him.

"Please! Listen to me Micheal. This is unhealthy," she pleads. Her voice cracks towards the end and I can picture her crying in my mind.

I press my lips into a thin line, the closet suffocating me. I hear glass shatter downstairs and I cover my mouth as I softly gasp.

I clasp my hands tightly together and whisper, "please be okay mommy."

"Micheal! We can talk about this, please put down the gun!" Mommy shouts.

"What did I tell you about questioning the things I do? Did our marriage ever teach you anything? When Aveline was assaulted, did that teach you anything about what I do?" His voice is booming through the house, bringing chills to my skin.

I don't understand why he is so upset.

I can hear mommy's heart wrenching sobs from where I sit and they bring tears to my own eyes. Daddy told us to never question him but mommy taught me differently.

Never question him aloud.

"Tell me, Amelia, what do you think would have happened the day she was born? She is not normal, and she will never be normal. She is as I raise her and this is final."

"This life will never fit her. She is too fragile, Micheal. She will break and it'll be her blood on your hands," she warns him. I can imagine her pointing a finger at his chest.

Are they fighting about me? No, they can't be. It's never good when they do.

I can hear my daddy laugh. "There will be no bloodshed that can't be replaced. As long as her heart is still beating, she will be fine."

"I won't let you harm her more than you have," mommy shouts.

A loud bang reverberates through the house and I quickly place my hands to my ears, tightly shutting my eyes.

When the closet doors open and light pours in, it is not my mommy's face but daddy's who stares down at me. Blood covers his white shirt and his hands.

He smiles down at me and pulls me to my feet, smearing blood on my cheek as he wipes my tears.

"All is well, little bird," he whispers, pulling me against his chest.

His comfort is almost enough to ignore the fragrance of my mommy's perfume. Almost enough to shut out the dead body downstairs.

But never enough to tame my wildly beating heart that is trying to escape this life already.

Make sure to vote for the chapters :)