Epilogue

Four Years Later

Four Years Later

"Mommy! My shoes are gone!" Dawn shouts across the living room.

I walk over to where she stands next to the shoe wrack. Of course they are missing. They are probably thrown somewhere in the house after one of her play dates outside.

I bend down next to her and grab the strap on black sandals.

"These match your jumpsuit better," I tell her.

I peer up at her light blue eyes—from Leo—and find excitement shining in them. She seems to have received all of her looks from Leo.

Even her beautiful black hair.

"Ice cream?" She asks, hinting at the park.

"Yes. Go get Ink, I have to talk to Auntie Lillian," I tell her, finishing strapping her shoes on.

She giggles and runs off towards the staircase for Ink. I make my way to the office where I know she will be. I asked her to cover for me today with any business.

I wanted to spend a nice day with Dawn and Ink.

"Are you sure your okay with this?" I ask just to make sure. She looks up from some paper work and smiles.

"Of course I am. I told you, Aveline, I'm here to help. Now go have fun," she says with a grin.

I nods. "Thank you, Lillian."

I close the office door and turn around, bumping into my daughter as I do so. I put a hand out to steady her and she grins.

"Sorry mama," she tells me.

"Your fine, little light. Is Ink coming?"

She shakes her head. "He stay to play games."

I nod, grabbing her little hand and walking with her to the garage entrance. Dawn skips next to me, humming a little song she probably heard from Chase.

The amount of time he spends with her is unimaginable. Him and his boyfriend are obsessed with her.

No wonder they are deciding on adoption.

Dawn could use some other children to be around. And I think it would be fitful for Chase and his building family.

"Mommy, can we take daddy's car?" She asks, pointing to the black sleek car. I don't know why she loves it so much but she chooses it every time over the white jeep wrangler.

"Why not? I'm sure daddy will appreciate it." I lift her up and place her in her car seat. I buckle her up and get into the drivers seat.

"Radio or story?" I ask her, turning on the ignition.

Today is Leo's death anniversary. The day he died. I always make sure we do something special and I always make sure Dawn remembers her father.

She loves him to bits even though she doesn't know him. And I know she gets sad that she never will.

"Story," she says quietly.

"When daddy saved you!" She adds with exclamation.

I smile, looking at her in the rear view mirror.

And I begin to tell her the story.

Exactly as it happened from the day we met and how he saved me going forward. It's important that I keep him alive any way I can.

I still don't understand how we both made such an amazing little girl. Dawn is so smart and patient. She is caring and gentle. I don't know how she is such the little angel she is but I'm so thankful for it.

And Leo's death still affects me.

Particularly on this day. The nights are always rough and I barely get much sleep but it's getting easier. Dawn is helping me through it.

And I think that's why I gave her the name she has. The first appearance of light I received when all seemed lost.

She doesn't know it yet, but she saved me just like her daddy did.

When I was once a bird. Caged and trapped under my fathers control. I was damaged and tampered down. Around my heart was a steel cage.

Leo Asel helped me find myself. He helped free me and set me up to fly.

And I flew with him for a while.

I can only imagine he is still flying now. I hope he is. For me. For our daughter Dawn.

The light that has helped keep me above water.

I'm still not happy with fate. I'm still angry that fate took Leo away from us.

But one thing it will never take away is our love. Even in death it is forever. I am still his and he is still mine.

For Infinity.