Chapter Eight

My heart seems to have stopped

My heart seems to have stopped. This was not by any means a part of our deal.

Our deal is for my freedom.

And if I am married I cannot be free. My brother cannot be freed. If I am tied down to another wicked man, I cannot be free.

There would be no chance because I would be—on paper—his.

I shake my head frantically, my eyes probably wild and expressing all of my dismissal.

"I can't marry you!" I exclaim. "I can't. That's not a part of our deal. I need my freedom."

He runs a hand through his hair and orders me, "shut up before you wake everyone."

I close my mouth immediately and press my lips into a thin line. I glare at him with a deep hatred.

"We won't get married," he simply says. "We will make him think we will but it won't happen. I'll make it seem as if I simply need you by my side as an incline in power and authority. And I need an heir of course."

Jesus, I'm going to be sick.

"You'll hate every thought about it—obviously. And it'll give him more power which means he won't even think twice about my betrayal," he explains. "In order to take over his business, I need to get closer to him."

I understand. I understand faster than I should. Which is why I'm nodding now.

We won't get married. He will simply say that he wants to take me as his wife and bearer of his heir. It's simple.

And nothing will happen.

I gather enough confidence to meet his gaze.

"I want to be the one to kill him," I say quietly.

Leo's knuckles turn white from gripping his glass so tightly. He rubs a hand over his jaw that is clenched.

"It'll harm you more than you think," he try's to talk me out of it.

I shake my head. "No it won't. I'm used to this. I'm not some fragile thing you need to watch over. This is happening."

He glares at me, standing up and walking over to me. He leans down and grabs my jaw between his fingers.

"And if I don't accept your terms? What if I want to kill him?" He asks threateningly.

I inhale sharply at his close proximity and intimidating presence.

"Your going to have to," I say breathlessly, my eyes flickering to his lips before quickly meeting his eyes again. "Or I won't agree to being your wife."

His eyes grow darker if it's possible. His thumb strokes my cheek and he pushes away from me. I lean back in the chair, inhaling all of the oxygen I can.