Chapter Thirty-Eight

It is nearing the end of my twenty four hours

It is nearing the end of my twenty four hours. Leo is asleep beside me and I have a paper and pen in my hand.

Silent tears are running down my face. This pain feels so horrible I feel the need to vomit.

But still, with shaky hands I write the letter to Leo.

For My Already Wonderful Husband,

Don't blame yourself for my disappearance. It's not your fault. And I can't offer you an explanation. I'm sorry. Every moment we have spent together has healed and nourished me. Your presence alone healed me.

I left for other reasons. Reasons I cannot name and it kills me that I cannot explain to you why. But please understand that it's for both of our safety. I don't want you to come looking for me. I promise I will be safe.

I'm sorry for hurting you. I'm sorry that this will hurt you. Leo, I love you so much that it hurts physically so please never think that I left because of you. I left for you. Fate is a weird thing when it comes down to situations like these. And unfortunately, fate played a horrible card in our game. I don't know if life will be difficult without me for you. I don't know how long it will take you to heal. But I do know that I want you to not worry about me. I want you to be happy.

I dreamed of a future where I would be free from my father. I dreamed of a future of happiness and calm. You brought that to me. My dreams have been answered.

I know sometimes you think badly of yourself. You are titled as the ruthless and cruel business man. Leo Asel. But I think of you as the adoring husband who saved my life. I think of you as my angel. My savior.

Don't come looking for me.
I left for a reason, Leo.
Accept my love and leave me be.
I love you forever and always.

-Aveline.

I fold the piece of paper and tuck it under my pillow. I'm still crying. I don't stop crying even as I slip out of bed and walk silently over to our closet.

I get dressed in some dark sweatpants and a white sweater. I slip on some shoes and grab a small bag. I tuck some extra clothes inside and then head to the door.

I look back at Leo with blurry eyes.

I mouth silently, "I love you so much."

And then I shut the door and walk to Inks room. I'm wiping at my face as I open his door.

"Ink," I say quietly. He stirs in his bed but doesn't wake up. I place a gentle hand on his arm and shake him slightly.

He opens his eyes slowly. He's confused.

"Ava?" He whispers.

It's dark so he can barely see me. But I can make out simple things.

"Yeah, get up," I tell him. "We are going to go on a small trip."

"It's dark," he whispers. He sits up straight and yawns. I grab his small hulk backpack and put some clothes in it. I grab some essential items and then take his hand.

"Be quiet, okay? Don't say anything," I tell him, slinging his pack over my shoulder along with mine. He nods and I lead him out of the room and towards the kitchen.

I find some snacks in the pantry that I shove in the bag and then I walk to Leo's office. I'm horrible for what I'm about to do.

"Stay right here," I whisper to Ink outside of his office door.

I slip inside and tip toe to his safe. I enter the four digit code that I already know and grab the cash that's inside.

He did tell me it was for emergencies.

One hundred thousand dollars.

Jesus—I'm so sorry Leo.

But even with this cash—it isn't enough. I'm going to have to do more once we make it to California.

I slip out of the office and grab Inks hand again. He tugs on my arm, obviously very confused. We can't talk right now. I can't risk being stopped by anyone because they overhear us somehow.

I shake my head, telling him silently not to speak.

We get to the entrance and I shut the door quietly behind us. It's a little lighter out since the moon and stars give us some guidance.

"We are going to the garage," I tell him, leading us to Leo's car. The same black sleek car I'm so familiar with.

I'm sure he has a tracker on it so it will be left at the airport.

I don't know how he will ever forgive me.

I grab the keys hooked on the wall and unlock it. I set Ink up in the back seat before climbing into the drivers side.

I exhale a heavy breath before starting the car and quickly driving off. I have to be gone before they come outside from hearing me.

I booked a flight earlier in the study.

We are flying to California in 40 minutes.

"Ava, where are we going?" Ink asks, worry in his voice.

I smile to reassure him. He can't know that anything is off right now. If he does, I fear he will try to fight me.

As good of a kid as he is, I still don't know what to expect.

"On a vacation," I say. "To the beach."

Ink smiles largely and jumps in his seat. "Yay!"

I'm glad he can be happy for a moment. But I will have to tell him the truth. He will have to know once we get to California.

Once we are safe.

Once Leo is safe.

When we arrive we will have to book a hotel before I can find an apartment to rent or a house to buy.

My pulse pounds in my wrist. Nerves prickle my stomach and twist my insides. I still can't believe I am doing this.

But I have to. I have to keep us all safe.

I look at the ring on my finger that Leo gave me. Guilt clouds my thoughts but I ignore it as I pull into the airport.

And I continue to ignore it as we take off to California.

Only when we get there will I allow myself to crumble.