Chapter Twenty-Six

I groan as I lose the second match

I groan as I lose the second match. "Are you serious?" I ask.

I shot the eight ball into the pocket. On accident. I lost. Again.

Lilian whoops and cheers, dancing around with her pool stick. "You suck, Ava. I need to give you some pointers."

"The eight ball was in the way! That one wasn't my fault," I say through a laugh.

She playfully rolls her eyes and shoves my shoulder.

"Casper the ghost must have shot your shot then," she muses.

"Shut up." I push her away with a laugh. Her eyes suddenly light with amusement. She glances behind me and grins.

"Want to go for a swim?" she asks, already walking towards the pool. I laugh, grabbing her arm to stop her.

"No, no, no, Lillian. We can't swim like this," I tell her.

"You're right," she tells me and begins to take down the straps of her red dress. I stop her movements with wide eyes.

"We really can't. What if someone walked in and saw you partially naked?"

She pouts and lifts her straps back up.

"It would have been fun," she tells me.

The door to the room opens, Leo walks through. He looks completely frantic as if he was searching for us.

"What the fuck?" He asks, storming over to us. "What are you doing in here?"

I look over to the pool table and point to it.

"We were having fun. Because this place is boring, we decided to make our own fun," I explain, gesturing to the whole room.

He runs a hand down his face and says, "you can't just disappear like that. What if you both got hurt? Lillian—you know better and everyone knows your my cousin, and Aveline, people—" he cuts himself off with a deep breath.

"People think you are my wife," he tells me.

I forgot about that. Since it's official with my father, it's official with the business world. I frown and spin the ring on my finger.

"Okay, do we need to go back to the main room?" Lilian asks, sighing as she steps forward.

Leo nods.

"We're leaving early. Go wait in the car," he orders both of us. I roll my eyes and walk away, Lillian on my heels as we make it back to the car.

"He's no fun," she mumbles.

"I'm beginning to think you're right," I agree.

• • •

"I don't know if my father will suspect me for taking his tablet," I inform Leo, grabbing the device out of my bag.