Chapter Thirty-Seven

I'm sitting in the study with a full stomach

I'm sitting in the study with a full stomach. The food was delicious and I was rabid while eating it. I'm finally clean and dressed in a black skirt and grey sweater. Which is comfortable.

Leo closes the door to the study and approaches me.

He takes a seat next to me, pulling me closer so I'm flush against him.

"I've been waiting to speak to you," he says quietly, running his fingers up and down my bare leg. I shiver slightly.

"What did you want to speak about?" I ask, angling my head so I can look up at him.

"I want to know everything that happened while you were there," he tells me. "What they told you. What they did. Everything."

I press my lips into a thin line because I know I can't do that. I sit up straight and fake a yawn. I know I need to get out of this.

"Nothing much. Honesty I don't know what she wanted with me. She never fed me so I assumed she was going to starve me," I lie to him. I lie to the man I love.

"Don't worry," I assure with a smile. "Everything is good now."

His face turns angry. "Don't tell me not to worry, Aveline. I can tell that you are holding things back."

"I don't want to talk about it," I argue.

"I need to know."

"If it was important I would tell you, Leo," I say, standing up because of my anger.

He stands up with me. "I know you better than that."

I glare at him. "No. Apparently you don't because I'm telling you the truth. I don't want to waste energy talking about what happened there when we are safe. My aunt is dead and her men won't come looking for us."

Leo runs a frustrated hand through his hair. He exhaled a heavy breath and then shakes his head as if he is dismissing a thought.

"I had something else I wanted to discuss," I whisper, nerves making my heart beat speed up.

He looks me in the eyes, his anger fading. He steps forward and grips my hips, pulling me closer to him. I tip my chin up so I can look at him clearly.

"What is it?" He asks, kissing my cheek briefly.

"I want to be your wife. Truly. I want to be yours and I want you to be mine," I tell him in an exhale.

He looks at me with so much intensity I could swear my knees are about to buckle and fail me. And then he smiles. He smiles so wide and he kisses me so deeply that I know I made the right choice.

"Of course. Darling, I have wanted you since the day I saw you and I have loved you not long after," he speaks against my lips.

I smile and pull back.