Chapter Twelve

My breaths are still coming quickly as he makes us stand in a single file line

My breaths are still coming quickly as he makes us stand in a single file line. And they don't stop coming quickly as we begin to walk.

We are close to the shore of a rocky area that harbors a ship. Not a large one but obviously one fit for escorting women in and out of here.

This is really happening.

I can't do anything about it.

I look to my right to see two men with guns strapped to their chests, ready to fire if needed. And I look to my left to see the blonde man and a couple others.

"Robert, we need your pin," one of the men shout from the front of the line.

Robert—the man with the greasy blonde hair walks towards him and enters a code into his phone. He nods and moves back towards us.

"Aveline, baby, you look tense," he teases, smiling down at me.

I glare at him, not trusting myself to open my mouth. If I do, nothing good will come out. And I can't make a move with all of these armed men around me.

He takes a piece of my hair between his fingers, twirling it. A loud gunshot sounds and blood sprays across my face.

Robert's hand was just shot.

That could have been my face.

I flinch back as he screams and looks down at his hand. And then his head is shot.

Chaos erupts around us and the men start shooting at others who are infiltrating the place. The women are running and hiding but I'm just standing here, watching everything unfold.

Blood still covers my face as arms circle my waist and pull me behind a car.

"Aveline, darling, look at me," I hear his voice before I see him. Leo. He grips my face in his hands and looks at me—inspecting to see if i am hurt.

"I'm fine," I mumble, pushing his hands away.

His stare hardens and he looks around as the shooting stops. He tucks his gun back in his waistband and stands up.

He brings me with him, walking me over to a truck.

Chase gets out and runs towards me. "You scared us shitless, A!"

I scoff, laughing in disbelief. "I scared you?" I shout. "None of you helped me as I was getting dragged out of the estate kicking and screaming."

"We didn't hear you," he tells me, shaking his head. "But we knew something was wrong when we heard the car."

I shake my head and shove him away and then I turn to Leo, pointing at him and shoving my finger into his chest. He grabs it and gives me a warning look.

"We will discuss this back at the estate," he warns me. I almost lunge at him and try to snap his neck there. But he's right.

We can't do this here.

It's too dangerous.

I get into the car, ignoring them and letting them finish their business here before we drive off.

• • •

As soon as we walk through the doors of the estate, I storm towards my room. I know Leo will be following. I also know it as I hear his he's heavy sigh.

"Aveline, calm down," he says from behind me. I throw my fist at the wall as I'm walking.

"Fuck you, Leo. I will not calm down," I shout, storming into my room. I whip around and face him as he shuts the door and leans against it.

He's so calm and casual when nothing about this is casual. I still have fucking blood on my face.

"I just got kidnapped," I say breathlessly. I inhale a deep breath, trying to calm myself but it doesn't work. "And you didn't even know."

He lets me go on.

"I mean—why don't you have better security? You are a boss to a large and powerful business and yet men can creep in here and take me away that easily?! I don't get it!"

I step closer and point a finger at his chest again. "I never allow myself to get comfortable and think I'm safe and the one moment—the one moment I think I can, I get kidnapped!"

Leo opens his mouth to protest but I continue, "I could have been trafficked and you don't even seem like you give two shits! You're standing here all arrogant looking and now your smiling and I'm fucking pissed at you!"

And Jesus, he's actually smiling.

He's smiling like all of this is so amusing to him. A real smile—and it's because I got kidnapped.

And I slap him. I slap him across the face, all of my rage bubbling out and into my palm. His face doesn't move but his stare hardens.

He grips my neck and pushes me back until my legs hit the bed and I fall onto my ass. He leans down, face level with mine.

When he speaks, his tone is low and menacing. "I knew they would be coming here. I knew they would try to get you and that is why I dampened security. I let them take you so I could get their docking locations and help put a stop to the trafficking business.

"What I did was necessary and I'm not going to apologize for it because I'm not sorry. Deal with the tough shit we have to do, Aveline."

"You could have told me," I release with a breath.

"No, I couldn't have. I didn't know how you would react and I needed it to be as real as possible," he explains.

"And don't ever fucking hit me again," he threatens me.

"Or what?" I challenge him, glaring back at him. He smirks and loosens his tie, tugging it free. He wraps it around my wrists and drags me towards the headboard.

My pulse quickens and I tug against his hold.

"What are you doing?" I ask, panicked.

He binds my wrists to the headboard and slides down my body, resting on top of me. He's supporting his weight by his elbows.

"Don't act so scared, darling. Whatever I do, even if it's a punishment, I can guarantee you will love it," he tells me, dragging a finger down my bare arm.

I shiver slightly.

"But until I can properly punish you," he pauses, licking his lips as if the thought thrills him. "You'll sit here and think about raising your hand at me again."

My mouth drops open and I begin to protest. "You can't do this!"

"Yes I can," he simply replies and walks towards the door. "I'll be back for you in the morning."

I release a groan of frustration and kick the bed beneath me as he shuts the door behind him. I surely thought he was going to do something else.

And damn my body for getting turned on.