Chapter Thirty

His words shock me

His words shock me. My crying stops momentarily and I stare at the wall, wondering if I misheard him.

"What?" I ask breathlessly.

"You heard me, darling. I love you," he repeats himself, still rubbing my back.

I lift my head from his chest and look into his eyes. I see complete sincerity.

"How?" I ask.

He chuckles and wipes away my tears. "Because how could I not? You fucking infested my body and mind, completely wrapping yourself around me."

I shake my head, unable to believe this. How could he love me? How could anyone love me?

And how could I have never seen Leo falling in love with me?

All this time I've been wanting to deny my feelings for him and he's admitting his to me. Is that what I'm feeling? Love?

Because dammit, it's intense.

"I'm scared I'm falling in love with you too," I admit, not breaking eye contact with him.

He smiles and rubs my bottom lip.

"I'll be here to catch you. You don't have to be scared, darling," he whispers. He brings his lips down to mine and captures them in a slow kiss.

Our lips mold together beautifully and he nips at my lower lip. I open, letting our tongues dance together while he explores my mouth.

I moan softly into the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck.

We break apart and he places his forehead against mine.

"Promise me, Aveline, that you won't try to do this again?" He asks me, kissing my lips again.

It takes me a moment to respond.

Because in that moment I wonder why I would try it again. I was so close to accomplishing it.

I nod slowly.

"I promise," I say quietly. "I promise."

He captures my lips with his again, devouring me with his whole being.

I breathe deeply as we break apart again.

"You're binding yourself to me by saying those words. Remember that I am not a good man. I will come home with blood on my hands and you may witness my cold demeanor," he tells me.

I shrug. "As long as I'm walking through the door accompanied by blood as well, then I don't have a problem."

He smirks. "God, I really do love you."

I bite my lip to contain the small smile.

"You're moving into my room," he says—no room for discussion. I smile, the thought of sleeping with him is appealing.