CH:00

┈     ┈     ┈     ⋞ 〈 🍍 〉 ⋟     ┈     ┈     ┈

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 🍍 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

[THREE YEARS LATER]

FAM Fertility Clinic
11:10am

He sighed heavily as his instep maintained patterned taps against the tiled floor of the fertility clinic. His head, aching with a pain that had started not too long after he signed his entrance at the front desk, stayed lowered to gaze down at his hands so blankly, as they were clasped in the air with elbows prepped against his thighs.

Chan was nervous. He wanted to cry and, the absence of some form of moral support did nothing but add to the distress overruling all attempts of positivity in thoughts. And then, despite the mental expectation that was supposed to linger for that call, the audible alert from a not-so-tall doctor was enough to quicken the already abnormal speed of his heartbeats. His head, it shot up to meet the fair woman's gaze, and the soft, friendly smile resting on her face couldn't help but force his own lips up into a similar expression.

"That's me." He spoke lowly, standing up to near the open door at which the woman was standing. Glancing back at the patient clients that occupied the few seats surrounding his, he sighed and nodded, the ache in his forehead almost strengthening when the closing of the door sounded so startlingly behind his back.

"How are you feeling today, Mr. Bang?" The woman asked sweetly, the unblemished white of her coat highlighting the black strands of hair that curved just above her shoulder. "Have a seat." She motioned an arm to the empty chairs positioned so neatly to the front of her desk as she herself claimed the larger, leather-covered swivel chair behind it.

"I'm- I'm alright. Just a little nervous is all." Chan faked another smile, face wasting no time before adopting a more serious and monotonous expression, and fingers clawing against the knee of his trousers ever so anxiously.

"I see your fiancé isn't with us today?" The woman recognized to be Dr. Hirai by the ID pinned onto the pocket of her coat, questioned cautiously as she pulled out a thin folder from one of her drawers. "How is she?"

"She's alright. But she has to work today, so I thought it'd be better if I just came for my results, you know?" Chan gulped thickly as the woman paged through his file with a rather intimidating nod lifting her head up and down, repetitively. "S-so... What did- what did the tests show?"

"Well, Mr. Bang, from what I see here, after comparing both your test results... You are the one with the main issue." She tried to state as calmly and reassuringly as possible, but the look of distress replacing the subtler expression of anxiety on the man's face was enough to emphasize her failure.

Yet she continued to speak, the disappearance of her soft smile dimming her lips into a fold of concern and, eyes not even able to remain locked with the glossy ones in front. "It even baffled me, since you're barely thirty. But you have something called secondary infertility."