𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘯

[chapter title: until after the rain]
[word count: 850]

[chapter title: until after the rain][word count: 850]

»»———— ♡ ————-««

A clap of thunder pushed you further in the house. Both the siblings saw you and knew that you'd overheard plenty.

"What are you guys talking about?" You spoke up both of the stiffened.

"I dunno what you've heard but I promise everything's gonna be okay." Saeko immediately rushed to you. Her reaction elicited the opposite feeling.

"Saeko, if it's not okay for me to stay here anymore, I can go find somewhere else. No hard feelings." You hugged her.

"Look, our parents aren't crazy or anything but they can be.. strict-"
"That's an understatement!" Ryu cut in.

"And they can be unpredictable. There's a lot more to explain but I just don't want to do that right now." She cut the tense conversation short.

"I understand. Tell me when you're ready." You assured her, "Why don't we have dinner together, then go to bed."

"Deal!" She said, your words taking weights off her shoulders.

All three of you made some delicious soba then sat down at the table and slurped down your bowls graciously.

"So what were you and Takeda talking about? You never came back to practice, we got worried." Ryu asked innocently with a noodle on his chin. Saeko wiped his face then turned to you.

"What's he talking about, (y/n)?" She asked with her brows slightly angled in confusion.

"Um, I need to tell yo-" You started but were cut off by the creak of the front door. Saeko dropped her spoon into her bowl, fear evident in her every move.

She hushed you.

Two figures walked into the house, one with a small suitcase and the other with a purse.

"Saeko. Ryunosuke." The male voice acknowledged the two.

"Welcome back." Saeko said sarcastically and stood up from the dining table. She seemed like a different person. Almost a complete opposite of the girl she was when you first met her.

The tension was thick, the silence was overbearing as it seemed that so much conversation that was needed to be had was denied.
The man's eyes narrowed on you.

"What's this?"

"Dad-"

"She's been staying over for a while. She's a friend of mine." Saeko said.

"Staying over for a while? Explain yourself."
It didn't take a genius to tell that the conversation was going downhill.

"She's just staying until she can go back home. It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal?" The mother began to laugh, "Not a big deal? You're always causing trouble for us, Saeko. Always making a mess of everything your father and I do."

"And to think you continue to make these mistakes at your age. Can't you see this girl is using your pathetic hospitality? Maybe you lack the comprehension skills to realize that. You idiotic daughter." The father said while pinching his brows.

"Saeko.." You reached over to her and she didn't make a move. She didn't cry, she didn't react at all.

"Don't touch her, you filthy mutt!" The man yelled and you flinched. Ryu took a step in front of you to put himself between you and their parents.

"You let a parasite into our house! A roach! How dare you disrespect us like this! Taking in street scum and wasting our hard earned money on her." The mother yelled and yelled, "You take her back where she came from. And I never want to see you around her or any other leech like her again. You hear me?" She continued.

"You can't kick her out!" Saeko raised her voice as well.

"Talk back to your mother one more time and you're getting kicked out too. Don't you dare think I won't kick you out either! You've been a nuisance for far too long."

"Dad, you can't-" Ryu started but was immediately cut off. "Shut up!"

"I know you would! You're a shitty excuse for a father!" She stepped towards him, never breaking eye contact with the much taller man. Screaming continued on and on, with Ryu trying to hold his sister back and the parents letting out unrestrained anger. It was no wonder the Tanaka siblings never spoke of their parents.
In the midst of the chaos, the parents' attention turned to you, particularly getting their hands on you to kick you out for good, and of course accuse you of trespassing. You bolted for the door, slipping your shoes on and running out into the rain.

Tears clouded up your vision, not that you could see much through the dark grey skies and the heavy rain.

Your feet moved on their own, going to the only place that must've been safe. Had to be open. Had to let you in.

You prayed that you were bringing yourself to the right place. Please.

Until you saw Sakanoshita Market in your line of sight. Exhausted. Lightning was striking miles away.

You pushed the doors open.

Dripping wet and clearly depressed, you looked like a fucking mess. Ukai tossed his newspaper on the counter and looked over to you. Nobody should've been out in this weather.

He didn't even know where to start with the 'Are you okay's and 'What the hell happened's.

"Can I stay here until the storm is over?" You asked in a soft and desperate voice.

"Have a seat, kid."

»»———— ♡ ————-««