𝔰𝔠𝔢𝔫𝔢 28

Family, friends, and life itself

We often take for granted the very things that deserve our gratitude the most. We do it all the time without even realizing it, constantly assuming that whatever we necessitate will be available when needed.

You never fully appreciate what you have until it's gone.

A horrifying scene awaited. What was once a well-established headquarters that housed the whole city of Mondstadt was now an edifice ravaged by raging flames. When the roof caved in, all that could be heard were tremendous rumbles and the crackling of fire. It was difficult to witness something so historic, something with so much importance, destroyed in seconds.

And gazing straight at it—even attempting to absorb the devastation—didn't feel real to Kaeya. While everyone else was covering their faces to avoid inhaling the toxins, the blue-haired man stood there with quivering eyes. He wasn't sure what to concentrate on and before he knew it, his feet were moving on their own. However, he was instantly stopped by a grip on his forearm.

The unexpected contact snapped him back to reality, prompting him to blink a few times to clear his clouded mind. He gazed down at the hand, quickly recognizing the navy glove as the Acting Grand Master, and glanced up at her.

"It's not safe. We must put out the fire first." Jean explained, her eyes softening as she took in the quartermaster's distressed state. This hurt her as much as it hurt him. All was lost; her reign to preserve Mondstadt came to a cruel end. When she returned her gaze to the fire, she couldn't help but notice that it had grown much larger than before. It was too late.

Jean's profound thoughts were snatched away as she felt Kaeya gradually peel away from her hold. His countenance was inscrutable with many different emotions colliding but that was expected given his situation. "My brother is in there." His tone was irritated and each word he uttered was shaky. Part of him wanted to blame the redhead for his own death, but another part of him wished he hadn't left Diluc alone. He should've accompanied him.

"Yeah, well, there's nothing we can do." Rosaria's voice sounded raspy now that she was conscious, her arm slung over Amber's shoulder, who was assisting in propping her up.