𝔰𝔠𝔢𝔫𝔢 29

Passion, according to the philosopher Immanuel Kant, is an illness of the soul rather than an emotion

It's a philosophy that some may agree with, some may disagree with, and others may even mock. Scaramouche was among them. He paid little attention to the subject of romantic attraction, having gone through enough adversity in his life to be confident in living a life without it.

Upon joining the Fatui, the raven-head was self-aware that he lacked human attributes in comparison to his peers. During his earliest years in Inazuma, he roamed around as a lost soul, yet he was granted the opportunity to explore the world around him.

That's when he found his true longing.

He wanted to see, to breathe, and to feel like mortals but was constrained to employing the power of the empirical eye, researching and recreating the nature of humanity through pure observation.

At first, the method proceeded smoothly and he was led to believe that all of his yearnings would be met. However, no matter how hard he tried, it was never going to be the same. Satisfaction was not achieved and he soon realized that the universe was nothing but cruel and unfair.

Things took a keen shift when the modification began.

Scaramouche could vividly recall his first encounter with Dottore, memorizing every detail of that specific day. He was led inside a mysterious and dim laboratory, where he noticed the doctor's silhouette seated at an unorganized desk. The man was diligently writing down an essential portion of his textbook when he was suddenly startled by the additional presence behind him.

Having said that, nothing could keep Dottore's delighted smile from surfacing as he recognized the new recruit. He didn't waste any time getting to work, interrogating the new member to the bone and taking meticulous notes on all that was shared.

It was a straightforward task: alter the boy as much as possible in order to awaken his true strength. That's all Dottore had been assigned to do, having no clue how much of an impact he'd have on Scaramouche's revival.