Finding Dates

(A/N) Just letting you know, most of the Chapter could be considered angsty. I already gave a warning a book or two ago for the series as a whole, but this way you now know what to expect for this Chapter, but for real, I won't be warning y'all again. Happy Reading :)

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention!?" Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Transfiguration class on Thursday, and Harry and Ron both jumped and looked up.

It was the end of the lesson; they had finished their work; the guinea fowl they had been changing into guinea pigs had been shut away in a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk, and Neville's still had feathers on it; they had copied down their homework from the blackboard, Describe, with examples, the ways in which Transforming spells must be adapted when performing Cross-Species Switches. The bell was due to ring at any moment, and Harry and Ron, who had been having a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands at the back of the class, looked up, Ron holding a tin parrot and Harry, a rubber haddock.

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age," Professor McGonagall said with an angry look at the pair of them as the head of Harry's haddock drooped and fell silently to the floor - Ron's parrot seeming to have severed it moments before - "I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests, outside of the Great Hall," he gaze wandered over (Y/N) for a moment, and he felt many other eyes upon him at that moment, "Now, the ball will be open only to Fourth Years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish-"

Lavender Brown suddenly let out a shrill giggle. Parvati Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she too fought not to giggle. Hermione looked at them and they had looked around at Harry, and Professor McGonagall ignored them, 'Why is she not shouting at them? Doesn't seem fair to tell off Harry and Ron and not those two...'

"Dress Robes will be worn," their Head of House continued, "and the ball will start at Eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing just after midnight in the Great Hall. Now then-" she stares deliberately around the class, "The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to - er - let our hair down," she said, in a most disapproving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed hard against her mouth to stifle the sound. Hermione actually saw what was funny that time: Professor McGonagall, with her hair in a tight bun, looked as though she had never let her hair down in any sense.

"But that does NOT mean," she went on, shouting a word as she did, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang, and there was the usual scuffle of activity as everyone packed their bags and swung them onto their shoulders.

Professor McGonagall called above the noise, "Potter - a word, if you please."

(Y/N) and Hermione walked away from the classroom as Ron hung back and waited for Harry, "So, I was wondering when the Yule Ball would be mentioned," (Y/N) said.

"Well, at least it's officially announced, now," Hermione said, remembering what (Y/N) told them on the train when he figured out that it was the Triwizard Tournament they'd be hosting at the School, "Are you excited for it?"

"I am looking forward to it... I need to practice my dancing... I'm fucking horrible at dancing," (Y/N) lamented.

"I used to have dance lessons back when I was Six and Seven. I'm sure I've gotten horrible over the years of not practicing, though..." Hermione also lamented.