A Selfless Action

(A/N) So I've come to notice that whenever I get angry at work over even the littlest stupid fucking thing, I want to upload the next chapter early. You could argue it's so I can feel like I've done something right for the day, but I dunno, enjoy anyway XD Upload date will change currently to Tuesday or Wednesday instead of Friday, but don't expect another chapter this week. I'll keep y'all posted on my Update Schedule and what it will definitively be in the coming months.

"You said you'd already worked out that Egg clue!" Hermione said indignantly in the back of Charms class one day in February, all four of them sitting at a table by themselves. (Y/N) had already accomplished the task set before them on the first go after Flitwick asked if he could do it non-verbally, so he was allowed to just sit or stand idly.

"Keep your voice down!" Harry said, glancing around, "I just need to - sort of fine-tune it, all right?"

While in Charms, they were to be practicing the opposite of the Summoning Charm, which was the Banishing Charm, Depulso. Owing to the potential for nasty accidents when objects kept flying across the room, Professor Flitwick had given each student a stack of cushions on which to practice, minus (Y/N), and the theory was that these wouldn't hurt anyone if they went off target. It was a good theory, but it wasn't working very well. Neville's aim was so poor that he kept accidentally sending much heavier things flying across the room - Professor Flitwick, for instance.

"Just forget the Egg for a minute, all right?" Harry hissed as Flitwick went whizzing past them, landing on top of a large cabinet, "I'm trying to tell you about Snape and Moody..."

This class was the most ideal for a private conversation, as everyone was having far too much fun to pay them any attention, and with (Y/N) not having to practice the Banishing Charm, he was able to keep them safe with having his eye elsewhere. Harry had then recounted his adventures of the previous night in whispered installments for the last half hour.

"Snape said Moody's searched his office as well?" Ron asked in a whisper, his eyes alight with interest as he Banished a cushion with a sweep of his wand, which soared into the air and knocked Parvati's hat off. "What... do you reckon Moody's here to keep an eye on Snape as well as Karkaroff?"

"Well, I dunno if that's what Dumbledore asked him to do, but he's doing it anyway," Harry said as his cushion did an odd sort of belly flop off the desk, "Moody said Dumbledore only lets Snape stay here because he's giving him a second chance or something..."

'That actually makes an odd amount of sense... there is no way someone like Snape would be here under normal circumstances, which must be why Dumbledore didn't argue against me when I threatened to kill Snape... now I wish I really had gone through with it,' he thought darkly.

"Oh Ron," Hermione said, shaking her head skeptically, (Y/N) had clearly missed Ron saying something, "we thought Snape was trying to kill Harry before, and it turned out he was saving Harry's life, remember?"

"I doubt he did that out of the goodness of his heart, though. If anything, he'd have done it just so Dumbledore wouldn't fire him," (Y/N) said.

"It seems silly to disregard Professor Dumbledore, though," Hermione pointed out, "he trusted Hagrid and Lupin and gave them jobs when no one else would, and he was right to, they are both great teachers in their own right, so-" Hermione faltered, she hated and loathed Snape because of his treatment of (Y/N) in Second Year, and she claimed she would never forgive him, and she never did. There was also last year, when Snape brutally hurt (Y/N) before the both of them went back in time, and that made her loathe the Potions Professor. And if she was being honest, she wasn't that upset with (Y/N) over defending her against Snape's cruelty when her teeth had grown at an alarming rate. So was she really about to change her tune just to trust Dumbledore?