𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 19

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder as I quietly sobbed into the crook of his neck.

Suddenly, I heard a vibrating noise from my phone in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw a notification from David.

David:

"Where the hell are you? It's 6:28."

                                                                     You:

                                                                   "Something happened at the hospital."

                                                                   "I'll be home soon."

Before he could reply I slipped my phone in my pocket and turned to look at Spider boy.

"I've got to get home... I'll see you around." I smiled, wiping the rest of the tears off of my face.

As I stood up, he did the same.

"Oh, alright... see you around then."

I glanced back at him and smiled as I walked out the room.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

My head was spinning when I entered my apartment. Immediately, David approached me from the living room.

"What happened?" he asked.

I took a deep breath and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Grandma passed away in the hospital during my visit."

His eyes widened as I sniffled, trying not to cry again.

"How?"

I paused, trying to find the best explanation for the fact that some fake health care, aka our own LPN nurse, drugged her water, ultimately killing her. It felt like something straight out of a suspense novel.

"You know Charlotte Barlowe, right?" I waited for him to nod, before continuing, "She um... she was not a real registered health care worker and... she basically slipped a drug in grandma's water."

"Are you kidding?" he asked, his voice tainted in disbelief.

I shook my head. He sighed and I wrapped my arms around him as he pat my head.

"Have you contacted the police yet?"

"No, I was hoping you would." I chuckled.

It was silent for a few seconds before he walked to the coffee table, picking up his phone and dialing 911.

I spared my fragile emotions and decided to not listen to the conversation. Walking to the kitchen, I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and poured cold water from the glass pitcher sitting on the counter. The cold water soothed my dry throat as I practically chugged it from the glass. 

The glass cup made a clinking sound as I placed it down on the granite counter, after finishing it all. David had just hung up with 911 and just stood in the living room, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hey... I'm gonna head to bed now, see you in the morning."

He turned to face me, "Alright, I'll be out here if you need anything."

I nodded and continued walking down the hall. Instead of stopping at my own bedroom, I abruptly stopped at a bedroom I knew all too well. Walking into grandma's room, I looked around, taking in the familiar surroundings. Photographs hung on the white walls. One showed our old house, a beautifully detailed manor, painted an elegant blue color. We used to live in the pretty countryside of New York, where the green hills would go on for miles and trees of green, red and yellow would grow everywhere. It was even prettier in the springtime, when grandma planted her pink and red tulips in the back garden, near my mother's rose arches.

Life was like a fairytale back then. We were all one happy family, where we would joke and laugh with each other. Nothing ever seemed out place and we never fought. It was almost too perfect for my liking.

Well, that was before my parent's and grandma passed. 

My eyes trailed from the photograph of our old home to another one, right next to it. What was odd is that I've never seen this one before. It showed my parent's and two figures shaking hands in front of a large building... except the two unknown figures were marked out. 

What is with all of these people being marked out?

I had no idea what these people could have possibly done to deserve being marked out on all photos taken of them. My family must have really not liked them.

The large sign on the building was blurry but I could tell it read Walker Sanatorium. It was in fairly good shape. There were windows all around and it was very big. Suddenly, a faint memory entered my mind. A memory of my mother and father sitting around on the sofa, discussing something about a hospital, which I could only assume it must have been the sanatorium. 

My fingers trailed along the smooth, cold glass on the photo as I studied my parent's features, considering I haven't seen them in what feels like forever. 

My mother was always thought of as the prettiest in her family, with her striking eyes and beautiful smile. I remembered I always sought out to be just as pretty as her one day when I was younger.

A faint smile appeared on my lips as I admired the photo. 

I walked over to grandmother's vanity drawer and opened it, curiously. There were a bunch of papers, pens, old wax seals and opened envelopes. I sifted through it a bit until one letter caught my eye. It was a considerably long letter, the words trailed all the way to the bottom. I noticed the neat handwriting of it and it looked familiar. The name at the bottom of the page confirmed my familiarity, as it read Juliette L/N, my mother's name. 

I was far too tired to read a whole page worth of writing, so I carried it in my hand as I walked out of the room and down the hall. Once I entered my bedroom, I placed the note on my nightstand and wasted no time as I immediately collapsed on my bed, practically drowning in the blankets. The black cat jumped on the bed and sat down right next to me, licking my face. 

I soon dozed off, despite my never-ending train of thought.

A/N: hiiiiii! hope you guys are doing well and I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

i have a rlly good idea for a new book but i cant start it until i finish this one :'(

anyways... ill see you next chapter, bye luvs <333