Dark Magic

ALEX.

It was already the end of May, but still Alastor Moody had not replied to Alex's letter about the job in Ministry. She had sent the letter the next day after she received the good news from healers. And also she hadn't managed to talk to him in any meetings of the Order.

It was slow Wednesday at the Order's Headquarters, Alex re-read for the third time report about attacks on goblins. Finally, she closed it and pushed away. Alex looked at countless books on shelves; she had speed read through almost all of them looking for spells, charms or potions that could help Order.

She leaned back in her chair and continued to look at the books. Alex had nothing new to do now; no new files or information to study, she was bored. There were couple of hours left until the Order's meeting. She thought about returning to Sirius's apartment, but she had nothing to do there also. Sirius had plans with the rest of Marauders today, so it did not mattered where she was alone.

Alex stood up and walked to the kitchen to make herself some coffee. When she poured freshly brewed coffee in her mug, Alex sat on the windowsill and sipped delicious brown liquid. She looked outside to the yard of the neighboring house.

It was very summery day outside, finally the sun was shining, otherwise it has been raining for weeks in London without stopping. Two kids were playing in the yard next door, both approximately ten years old.

Alex knew that the kids could not see her, because headquarters was charmed from the rest of the world. That was why she watched how two girls played tag or swung in the swings.

Alex smiled when girls ran past the window where she sat. But her smile disappeared quickly, because she remembered the fact that she almost certainly couldn't have children. And that was the only thing Sirius wanted and she couldn't give it to him.

Sirius had said nothing about that since the end of March, but she could not stop thinking that he hasn't mentioned that only to not hurt Alex. Yes, he had said that he did not cared about the fact that Alex could not have children, he only wanted her, but still Alex could not forget that. That thought was almost always in her mind.

Alex tried not to think about that and continued to watch the girls, but now sadness sneak up in her features. She sat on the windowsill until she finished her coffee.

She stood up and carried empty mug to the sink, she waved her wand and made the mug wash itself. Then she decided to go back to the library.

Alex had almost reached the kitchen doors when they flung open. Remus hurried inside helping some other Order member to walk whose leg was badly injured. Some other Order members covered in blood and cuts followed them. Then... Peter and James appeared carrying almost unconscious Sirius. Alex practically felt how her heart stopped for a couple of seconds.

"Sirius!" she yelled and rushed to them, James and Peter tried to lift Sirius up on the table.

"Death Eaters in Diagon Alley," explained James, lifting up Sirius's legs and putting them on the table.

"What happened to him?" Alex asked her voice shaking.

"Bellatrix cursed him with something," quickly said James, now he tried to take off Sirius's leather jacket.

Alex leaned over Sirius's face; he barely could keep his eyes open. Sirius looked at Alex and tried to smile, but he was not successful. His breaths were jerky, Alex caressed his forehead, it was ice cold and sweaty.

"Dark magic," Sirius managed to say. James had took off Sirius's shirt; Alex now glanced at his chests. There were black marks across them.

"Definitely dark magic," James confirmed, "haven't seen anything like that."