Epilogue - Alternate Ending

ATTENTION! This is an alternate ending of this story. This is a "What if..." chapter. What if Alex never returned back to England and never met Sirius after his escape from Azkaban. If you are satisfied with original ending, then maybe don't read this?! 

ALEX.

Two years had passed since she had returned to France. In those two years Alex had tried to heal herself, lick her wounds and heal her mind. It was not easy, but she had almost managed to do that.

Still these were nights, when she had nightmares about every bad thing that had happened, but somehow it did not affected her that much anymore. She had stopped smoking, and also she drank much less now. She had started to swim every day, and that made her physical and mental condition to get better.

How she had survived these past four years after Sirius had been sent to Azkaban, she had no idea. She had not thought that someday she would feel close to normal. But slowly she was nearing that state when she would feel good, she felt that in her bones.

All day she had aimlessly walked through the mansion trying to find something to do, but nothing held her attention for more than ten minutes. And she didn't liked that.

Evening was approaching, and she had decided that nice, long evening walk in the town was what she needed. That's why she went upstairs to get ready and left her mansion to walk around the town.

She slowly walked on pedestrian street, which was full of little shops. She slowly walked past shop windows and studied things on display, some of the things shop owners tried to sell was put out on the street as well.

It was warm evening and Alex had stopped by the second hand book shop, and now studied big box of books placed outside the shop. She tried to find some book that looked interesting and would be a good read.

"Alex," she heard voice behind her back.

She slowly put down book she was holding, and turned around. She lifted her eyes until hers met with beautiful blue ones, of which one was half brown. Alex had already forgotten these eyes and their owner.

"Noah," she said quietly, releasing a breath she did not knew she was holding.

"Hi," he greeted and smiled. He looked as much surprised to see her here, as she was to see him here.

"Hi," she replied, still a little taken back.

He continued to look at Alex and smiled, she had no idea what so say or do. Then Noah ran a hand through his light brown hair and put his hands in pockets.

"I heard about Sirius," he said sadly, smile disappearing from his lips, "I'm so sorry."

No, Alex did not wanted to talk about Sirius, especially not with Noah. She just shook her head and took two steps towards him. Then she hugged him, Noah's hands wrapped around her, his cheek resting on her head, and she felt how he smiled.

"It's so nice to see you again," he said caressing her hair.

"Yeah, you too," Alex released him from her embrace and smiled.

"What are you doing in France?" he asked, his eyes full of kindness and gentleness.

"I live here, and you?" Alex could not look away from Noah, his presence reminded her that there still was possibility for happiness in darkness.

"I still work in France, now I'm on vacation," he answered.

"Right, I have already forgotten that you work here," she said a little embarrassed.