Chapter Twenty-One

Today it is. Today the ball is and here I am sitting with Pansy and Daphne,
for once in Pansys dorm room and not the one of Daphne and me.

The Winterball is taking place this evening, and here we are, planning on getting ready.

"Evie?" Daphne suddenly says quietly. She looks at Pansy, then at me.
"Pansy and I...we've noticed you being totally off in the entire past time.
We really worry about you, Evie." I look at Pansy. She nods. I look back at Daphne.

"I don't really know if I want to talk about it"

"It's about Draco, isn't it?"
I don't respond. She sighs.
"Evie, talk to us. Please just talk to us. We are your friends and friends are there to help. Will you please just for once stop keeping this all to yourself and making you feel any more like shit, and instead tell us what happened? Maybe we can help?"

I shake my head. "You cannot"

"Okay, then we cannot! You can still tell us. Evie, we care about you and don't want to see you getting any worse. If you'd see yourself the way we do, you'd understand I don't know what the fuck happened between you and Draco. But I swear to Merlin if you don't tell us right now-"

"Pansy" Daphne interrupts. Pansy stops and smiles compassionate. "You can tell us. Really." She nods.

I sigh a moment later.
"I- I don't know where to start." Closing my eyes, I take one last deep breath and so begin.

"Harry asked me to go to the winter ball with him and I said yes" Both of my friends stare eye-widened at me. I continue.

"I completely forgot to tell Draco. We were planning on going together. But that was to my defense just, because we weren't really in, for other people as dates." Pansy and Daphne nod here and there.

"He got pissed. He got pissed so bad but do you know what he then told me?l

I look at both of them.
"He said he'd already asked Astoria out, before he even knew I was going with Harry..."

I look at Pansys half frozen face and Daphne's one in disbelieving.

"My- my sister, you mean?" Daphne looks like she'd seen a ghost. I confirm.

"He. Did. Not." Pansy slaps a hand against her mouth.

"I haven't talked to him in two weeks. In two fucking weeks"

Suddenly we hear shifting from the end of the room, making Daphne, Pansy and me look up in unison.

We see Millicent Bulstrode get out of the bathroom.

"Oh fuck, I didn't realise you had been here the entire time" Pansy curses.

Millicent smiles sweetly.
"Yeah, I'm really sorry. And Evangeline, I really didn't mean to eavesdrop or something, I swear. But I just couldn't help but overhear everything you just said and wanted to tell you that I think that Draco lied to you."

"What do you mean, Millicent?" Pansy asks her. She looks at us for a second.
"I mean...." She begins "That two weeks ago, Draco stormed up to Astoria when we were in the middle of a conversation, and practically spit an invitation to the ball, at her." She starts chuckling "Really you should have seen it. I found it quite hilarious."

"Wait, Evie. When did he tell you he'd asked her?" Daphne turns to me. "That doesn't make any sense.Two weeks ago, he'd said back then. "

"Ha! That was a straight up lie!" Millicent snorts. "Sorry" She mumbles.

I stare at the ground for a while.
"I think I'll be leaving now." I then hear Millicent speak and lift my head.

"Thank you." I smile.
"Oh it's not a big deal." And so she leaves the three of us alone.

"Do you fucking know what that means?!" Pansy almost yells.
"Oh my god, that lying fucking idiot.
Evie, he really just did that because he was hurt. Bloody hell, I can't believe I'm saying that now, but he was just jealous you were going with Potter!"

"Wait, are you still going with him?" Daphne interferes. I shake my head.
"I told him I couldn't do that to Draco and to myself. I was actually planning on not going."

"What?!" Both shout in unison.
"The hell you will!"
"I can't believe he's asked Astoria out of god damn jealousy." Pansy mumbles.

"Yeah? But I'm tired of him always being this jealous and obsessed with Harry? I mean, I really got it in the beginning... Harry didn't want to be his friend and stuff..But really? It's gotten so ridiculous to this point. Just because Harry may be better than Draco in some things, and isn't any hint of intimidated by him, it cannot possibly be a reason for him to always be that jealous. He literally always sees Harry as a rival, because he didn't shake his fucking hand in our first year!"

It goes quiet for a moment.
"She cannot possibly believe that bullshit, that just left her mouth." Pansy looks at Daphne. "Ohhh, I think she does."

"Listen, you complete total idiot. I'm gonna tell you the truth now and you'll listen" Pansy takes a step closer. "This man is irrevocably and un-fucking-conditionally in love with you.

I can't believe you were this blind to not see him looking at you all these years, like you were some sort of treasure he's won when he befriended you. And don't even look at me like that, because... he. has. loved. you. all. along!

I didn't say anything because I thought that the two of you would sort and figure it all out by yourselves, but now it's gotten to a point where you're just being fucking oblivious to the truth.

That man loves you and always has. He's simply lied to you because he was hurt and jealous. You absolute jerk, he isn't jealous of Potter, because he didn't simply shake his hand or has better grades. He's jealous of him, because he thinks you'll like him!"