FORTY-THREE

43. my favourite book

Really more of a filler chapter.
•••

EDEN ABRELL

EDEN ABRELL

I smiled, stroking my stomach as the warmth of my hands emanated onto my swollen belly. Our baby boy. I breathed out as tears gathered in my eyes, blurring my vision with white dots.

"My God, I'm so damn emotional," I huffed out, wiping under my eyes. A heavy breath escaped me and I shook my hands despite the new tears forming in my eyes for an entirely different reason. I shook my head at myself, "It's okay Eden, you're in the same house. You are okay." My words came out in a quiet whimper while my lips quivered. I purse my lips and clamp my teeth down to stop them from shaking, then I left the room.

I gulped, rubbing my arms, as my anxiety builds in my throat like a lump. Releasing my lips, a stressful sigh escapes as I flicked on the kettle. I exhaled, wishing for the weight off my chest to disappear, running my hands over my face before picking at my fingers.

I bit my lip as my eyes fell in the thin navy hair tie around the top of my right wrist. Huffing, I pulled off the elastic and tied it around the end of my slack French braid. I pulled the strands of my hair to make the braid poofier.

When I dropped my French plait, the kettle clicked finish. I sighed as I poured the boiling water directly over the teabag, cinnamon and sugar in my cup. Breathing in the aromatic steam, I hummed in delight as I tapped the counter, skipping down the hall to Huxley's office. I puffed out my cheeks and rapped twice on the door, passing the air around in my cheeks as I waited for him to answer.

I stopped sliding the air bubble in my mouth mid-movement when Huxley opened the door. I gave him chunky smile, the best I could with my cheeks still puffed out. Huxley chuckled, his eyes swirling with amusement, and leaned down to press a kiss on my forehead, his warm hand cupping the side of my right hip as his thumb caressed the curvature of my belly.

"Come in, stunning."

He took my hand and pulled me through the entrance of his office door. "Oh wait!" Huxley paused gently, turning to me with a questioning look in his eyes. "I'll be right back."

I hobbled back to the kitchen as quickly as possible so I could finish making my cup of tea. I took out some full cream milk and a spoon, stirring the hot liquid. I poured in my preferred amount of milk before putting the carton back into the fridge. I tossed the spoon in the sink, not bothered to stir the milk in. My teeth pulled on my top lip while moved towards Huxley's office as fast as I could without spilling my tea.

I glanced up and caught Huxley leaning against his open door frame with an amused smile on his lips, his eyes glowing in affection. I gave him my own small smile, my cheeks twinging in redness as I kissed his chest on my way into his office. At the sound of the door clicking shut behind me, I outstretched my cup of cinnamon tea, knowing Huxley will want a sip. When his eyes landed on the steaming cup he sent me a small smile and took the cup into his hand.