TWENTY-THREE

23. everything looks ugly

•••

EDEN ABRELL

EDEN ABRELL

ONE WEEK LATER

I huffed and stared at the pile of clothes I threw on the floor.

What am I gonna wear? Nothing looks good.

I groaned and slumped down on my bedroom floor. I rested my chin in my palms as my chin wobbled.

Damn pregnancy hormones.

I sobbed and plucked at the fabric in my carpet. My door opened slowly and I looked up to see my mum peeking into my room. I bit my lip, my chin wobbling. "Mama," My voice cracked as I spoke.

"Hey, honey," She came into my room and knelt down to my level. "What's wrong?"

"Everything looks ugly, mum. I don't have anything to wear," Tears ran down my cheeks as I sulked.

"Are you alright, Eden?" She raised her eyebrow and watched me in confusion. "You've been acting strange lately."

I felt a little bit guilty that I still hadn't told my parents yet. But I wanted to wait until I was comfortable with telling them.

Hell, I still hadn't even told them about Huxley and me. I have to take this step by step and bit by bit.

I nodded my head and wiped my tears to stop more from falling.

"It's okay hon-" She started but I cut her off.

"It is not okay, mum," I cried. "I look hideous and I have a date with my boyfriend." I looked down and closed my eyes.

"Okay, well," My mum said slowly as she looked at me. "Hang tight, okay. I'll grab you something to wear."

I nodded, biting my lip.

I desperately wanted to tell them everything. They already knew about Gracie's mum and dad getting divorced but they didn't know anything more than that. And I'm going to keep it that way. For a while at least.

"This guy you're seeing," Mum said as she rummaged through my pile of clothes. "Is he a good man?"

"Yes," I looked up and wiped my tear-stained cheeks.

"Is he treating you well?"

"Yes, mum." I sighed, rubbing my eyes before smiling softly. "He does. He treats me very well." I blushed at the unintended innuendo. I hoped my mum didn't interpret it that way.

"And he supports you? Makes you happy?" She furrowed her brows as she asked. "Really and truly?"

I sighed in irritation and made a face as I spoke, "Yes mum, geez. Will you hop off my nuts?"