NINETEEN

19. this gut-wrenching feeling

•••

HUXLEY KING

HUXLEY KING

I sat down on the couch and sighed. This is ridiculous and exhausting. This is such a long process.

But it'd be worth it because I'd get to be with Eden.

I smiled at the thought of Eden and my heart swelled as it filled with my love for her. I was so in awe of her. How can one person be so amazing?

It's all worth it. It's all worth it if it means I get to be with her in the end. I heard footsteps and I looked up. I smiled when I saw Eden walk into the room.

"You okay?" My daughter asked as she looked at her friend worriedly. The smile on my face dropped and I stood up. I darted my eyes over her quickly. Something's wrong.

A weak sigh-laugh hybrid left her beautiful lips. Eden raised her eyebrows quickly then squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head. She whispered looking at Gracie, "Yeah. I'm fine."

I didn't like this.

"Eden," I couldn't help but feel agitated when I spoke. I was anxious as I stepped closer until I was so close my arm brushed against hers.

What's wrong, my stunning?

Thoughts of something horrible happening to her filled my head and I gulped. I kept my eyes on trained on her and I noticed Eden clench her right fist at her side.

"Huh?" Eden mumbled as her eyes fluttered shut and her head fell back as her body went limp.

"Dad!" Gracie exclaimed as I gasped shakily and quickly wrapped one hand around her waist and rested the other under her head for support. I pulled her close to me and sat down on the couch, laying Eden gently down on top of me, still supporting her head. I drew in a sharp breath and looked at Gracie, "Call the ambulance and call her parents."

My daughter nodded and ran down the hall. A minute later she ran back into the room with her phone pressed against her ear. I looked down at my girlfriend lying unconscious in my arms. I leaned down, nustling my face into her neck as I brushed my lips against he ear, "You need to wake up, Eden. You need to be okay." I tightened my grip around her waist and drew a shaky sigh. "Please be okay."

Gracie walked up towards me and sighed, "The ambulance will be here in ten minutes." I nodded and sighed, "And her parents?" I asked.

"They didn't answer so I left them a message telling them Eden was in the hospital." She sat down on the couch beside me. "Are you okay Dad?"

"I'll be okay when she wakes up," I caressed Eden's cheek and looked at my daughter. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just—" She shook her head, tears filling her eyes. "I don't know. I'm in shock. I don't know. I just, I don't know."