26: Promise

Hajime's POV:

I'm sitting in the café. It's semi-crowed, so it's easier to focus my attention on the kids about our age ordering at the counter and not the adorable boy sitting next to me.

We're sitting at a table with Celeste and Fujisaki. Nagito and I are sitting next to each other on the couch set against the wall, and Celeste and Fujisaki are sitting in chairs. I've made sure there's a good few inches between Nagito and I. As much as I'd rather there wasn't, I can't stand being affectionate with him around other people. Especially in public like this, surrounded by strangers. If my father's taught me anything, it's that the less people who know you're gay, the better. But still, I can't help but to periodically let my fingers creep over to his slender hand.

Nagito and I have coffee, Celeste has a milk tea and Chihiro has a coffee that's light enough that it may as well be milk. We have a plate of pastries in the middle, it's pleasant. But still, I can't help to that notice Nagito isn't eating anything and he seems bothered. Is it what my father said? Does he still believe it?

"Hinata, may I ask you something?"

I snap out of my trance and look up to see Celeste giving me a strange look. "Yeah sure," I say a little nervously, "What's up?"

"What happened to your jaw? It looks bruised."

Nagito and Fujisaki are kind of doing their own thing, but I can tell they're both listening. I totally forgot that I'm visibly injured. Celeste and Fujisaki would have no idea why, but Nagito on the other hand...

From the corner of my eye, I can see his expression. His has this slightly angered look on his face. Does he know? My dad did it while he was over, and I hit the ground pretty hard, he might have heard it. Not to mention, beforehand I was fine and now I'm bruised. I...really don't want to worry him. I hate talking about this stuff, it makes me seem like I can't handle it on my own.

"Oh yeah, I feel in my room and hit my head on my bedside table. It doesn't really hurt though, I'm fine."

Celeste's face doesn't change, but I can see it in their eyes. They know I'm lying. Of course they know. I just hope they don't say anything. I came here to not have to think about my home life, besides if Nagito finds out he might blame himself.

I watch Celeste slowly glance over at Nagito. "What about you, are you okay?" He doesn't respond. I look over at him, and he's staring out of one of the shop windows. But he doesn't look like he's just staring into space or anything. He's looking at something. I follow his gaze, and all he could be looking at is the people outside the store. I see Fujisaki looking out there too, and her face changes into an emotion I can't place before turning back to Nagito.

Nagito suddenly snaps out of it and looks around the table to see us all staring at him. "What?"

"Are you okay?" Celeste asks again, "You don't quite seem like yourself."

"Yeah, I'm just..." He glances back out the window and then back to us, "I just need to use the bathroom. Excuse me."

Without saying anything else or waiting for a response, he gets up and heads to the bathroom.

"Hey Hinata-kun," Fujisaki says after an awkward pause, "Did something happen between now and when I last saw him?"

"No, he was fine a moment ago. He probably...just needs a minute."

"Shouldn't you know?" Celeste says, tracing their finger around the edge of their cup, "Aren't you his boyfriend?"

"Not so loud!" I hiss, catching both Celeste and Fujisaki off guard.